Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, August 4th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
hsyeow
New

Host Subdomain Only on GoDaddy

I have a parent domain hosted on a different hosting and want to just host a subdomain on GoDaddy. What I had done is create a parent domain in GoDaddy and then add the subdomain.

Doing this somehow caused issue with our local ISP unable to resolve the subdomain with the ISP's DNS server. The ISP said there is a SOA record for the parent domain in GoDaddy and it shouldn't be there because the parent domain is not hosted on GoDaddy.

I'm unable to edit or delete the SOA and I had called GoDaddy support. They told me I can't edit or delete the SOA because the parent domain is not hosted with GoDaddy. Support also told me I can't create a subdomain without first creating the parent domain, which will create the SOA by default.

Does anyone know how to create a subdomain in GoDaddy without creating the parent domain?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nate
Super User II

You don't want to use Godaddy's nameservers, there should only be matching sets.  Instead in the account that holds the domain you would add an A record for the sub-domain pointing to the appropriate hosting IP address.  The records for the main site should remain how they were before.

I was explaining on the hosting side, pretend your subdomain is an actual domain and set it up like that.  So for the Primary domain of that hosting account put whatever.yourdomain.com in the box.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Nate
Super User II

Change the primary domain to the subdomain as if it were a domain.

You'll probably want to keep the nameservers set to the host of the main site, then add an A record with them pointing to your hosting for the subdomain.

I don't want to add A record at the primary domain as the site IP changes from time to time, and the primary domain is owned and managed by our client. I only managed the subdomain and its site.

At the primary domain, NS record was created and points to GoDaddy. And at GoDaddy, I created the A record. 

The above works fine for public DNS like Cloudflare and Google, but not with my local ISP, which their technical team point the cause to the SOA record at GoDaddy. We have lots of user that use the local ISP's DNS server and it's not possible to ask all of them to change their DNS settings.

Nate
Super User II

You don't want to use Godaddy's nameservers, there should only be matching sets.  Instead in the account that holds the domain you would add an A record for the sub-domain pointing to the appropriate hosting IP address.  The records for the main site should remain how they were before.

I was explaining on the hosting side, pretend your subdomain is an actual domain and set it up like that.  So for the Primary domain of that hosting account put whatever.yourdomain.com in the box.

View solution in original post