cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How long does it take for a domain to be available after expiring?

I allowed a domain of mine to expire and I don't want to pay the fee to recover it. I was thinking of waiting it out. Does anyone know how long it'll take to be up for purchase again? I know there's the initial 30 days after it expires where you can recover it but I mean after those 30 days, will it automatically become available again or will it go through another period of being unavailable?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
DocTony
Helper IV

Below is a link to the domain lifecycle which lets you know when it will be publicly available. BUT you need to know that people can purchase a backorder of a domain or purchase it during an expired domain auction and if either of those took place it would never go back to the public for repurchase. If the domain has any value to you, your best bet is to pay the redemption fee as that is the only way to guarantee you can keep the domain. You cannot backorder your own domain or purchase it via an expired domain auction.

Domain Lifecycle - https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

View solution in original post

If a domain has any value to you, your best bet is to always pay the redemption fee to keep it as that is the only way to guarantee you can keep the domain. If that period has passed you might be out of options for recovering the domain other than buying it from the new owner. Someone may have purchased it then put it back up on auction for resale. 

3 REPLIES 3
DocTony
Helper IV

Below is a link to the domain lifecycle which lets you know when it will be publicly available. BUT you need to know that people can purchase a backorder of a domain or purchase it during an expired domain auction and if either of those took place it would never go back to the public for repurchase. If the domain has any value to you, your best bet is to pay the redemption fee as that is the only way to guarantee you can keep the domain. You cannot backorder your own domain or purchase it via an expired domain auction.

Domain Lifecycle - https://www.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

That domain lifecycle suggests that a domain would come available again after 42 days.  But it also says the registry may hold the domain before releasing it for general registration.  By how long you ask?  I'm witnessing at least another 180 days.

I have a domain that expired by accident due to email complications 112 days ago and I can tell you first had that at the end of that 42 days, they turned it around and put it  back up for auction for another 90 days!  And I just watched that auction come to a close and they have yet again renewed the auction for another 90 days!!  ?!?!?!?!?!

If a domain has any value to you, your best bet is to always pay the redemption fee to keep it as that is the only way to guarantee you can keep the domain. If that period has passed you might be out of options for recovering the domain other than buying it from the new owner. Someone may have purchased it then put it back up on auction for resale.