cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

How to Recover Expired Domains

Where can I find websites that I owner and registered, but have now expired?  Do they still show in my domains section?  If so, where else can I find them?

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Employee

Hi @GNM!

Welcome to the community! That's a great question. If a domain's expired, it will go into a grace period where you can still recover it. During that grace period, you can still find it within your account  using the instructions here.

That would be the best place to see domains that have expired. After that grace period, there won't be any place within your account where you can see domains you've owned that have expired.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

@caamano Hi there. When a domain name is in "pendingdelete" status it is unable to be renewed. The domain name will be released 6 days after the last "updated" date on the domain. For example, if the status of the domain name is pendingdelete and the last updated date was November 10th, the domain name was be released from the registry today between 2 PM and 3 PM Eastern time. 

You may want to purchase a "backorder" from Godaddy who will then attempt to register the domain on your behalf as soon as the registry releases it. Information on backorders are here: https://www.godaddy.com/domainaddon/domain-backorders.aspx

---

Retired
Not applicable

Hi,

A short way to see if it's actually still yours and redeemable would be to do a search for it as if to purchase a domain as new. Go to godaddy 'search for domain' page, type in your old domain (don't include the www or http:// bits) and if you get a "yes this domain is available", then it has expired.

It's not a standardised method of finding out, but it is sure. 

If on the other hand you get a "sorry, this domain is already purchased", or words to that effect, then in all likelihood unless someone else bought it as soon as you lost it, then it's probably still redeemable to you. Then you just need to see what products you have.

If you get into any difficulties then I would phone support who will be able to give you more details.

Hey @aileensantos,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

When your domain has already expired for some time, be sure to check your "Expired Domain" list instead of just your regular domain list in the control panel. We actually outline a recovery process here. Chances are you might be in the middle of a redemption status.

Let us know if you get this worked out. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator

Hey @Elmansy79,

If the domain isn't listing in your expired domains list, there could be a few different reasons for this depending on how long ago the expiration had occurred. I recommend reaching out to our live support in this instance so they can help review the status further and confirm the next steps for recover; if it's still an option. 

36 REPLIES 36
Helper II

My domain name has expired and I want to use it again. How do I get it restored?

Hello @RebeccaM, I don't know if you have already solved your issue with your domain but there are a couple of option available to you. Check to see if your domain is available and if it is just purchase it. Two, if the domain name is not available it most likely got bought off by someone else. You can check to see who purchased the domain name(https://who.is/). There is a chance that you may not be able to see the information as they probably purchased privacy protection. Now, if the info IS available you can contact them directly with your inquiry. Also, you can have go daddy contact them in your behalf to try to get it for you. My last advice would be to wait until it expires again and purchase it then. 

If your website has lots of traffic it's important to not let it expire. 

Hope this helps.

MarvinB

My problem is similar.

My domain expired about 2 weeks ago (I had to change my credit card due to security issues).

Since it's no longer showing up in my list of products to "manage," I visited my actual domain, and there was a message there that tells me to register it / renew it now... and I click on the renew button.

But then I just get redirected back to my current list of domains, and my expired domain is not there (so I can't even renew it).

So I search for my domain again on godaddy, and it appears to be "registered" so I can't buy it either.

Finally I look for it on who.is, and I see my name is still registered as the owner but the address belongs to godaddy.com.

PLEASE HELP.

Hey @aileensantos,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

When your domain has already expired for some time, be sure to check your "Expired Domain" list instead of just your regular domain list in the control panel. We actually outline a recovery process here. Chances are you might be in the middle of a redemption status.

Let us know if you get this worked out. 

Dear all 

i do all the above steps but the expired domain options is dim and i  can not see my expired domains 

what should i do  ?? 

Hey @Elmansy79,

If the domain isn't listing in your expired domains list, there could be a few different reasons for this depending on how long ago the expiration had occurred. I recommend reaching out to our live support in this instance so they can help review the status further and confirm the next steps for recover; if it's still an option. 

Hi. Where is the expired domains list on the godaddy control panel?

Hey @recovery,

@CG gave a link to recovering domains above, and it provides the steps to get you in the Domain Manager.  You can find it here:  https://my.godaddy.com/help/recovering-expired-domain-names-5018

ML - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/24-7support

This is ridiculous ! I have email proof that my domain expired only 5 DAYS AGO !!!! ??  yet it is no where to be found.

I did the manage all - expired domains and everything as i read on all the replies, but i cannot find the domain anywhere . 

i need it. its not acceptable.

They want to charge $150 to recover my backup that they already have on file. Im going somewhere else. I cant stand when companies get gready. Ive been with them for almost 15 years...anyone know of a good hosting company?
Tried to make $150 and will lose thousands in the long run...not good business sense...

Michael

dear sir I want to recover an expired domain?

kholafaa.com

dear sir I want to recover an expired domain?

kholafaa.com

Employee

Hi @GNM!

Welcome to the community! That's a great question. If a domain's expired, it will go into a grace period where you can still recover it. During that grace period, you can still find it within your account  using the instructions here.

That would be the best place to see domains that have expired. After that grace period, there won't be any place within your account where you can see domains you've owned that have expired.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator

@Heatherthanks for your response. but what can I do to restore it after it has exceeded the grace period.

So, my domain name expired, and I don't see it anywhere. I've looked under products, billing, etc., to try to locate the domain name and pay for renewal. When I search for it, it says it's taken...yet nothing comes up when I go the address. Thoughts on what I should do next? Thanks in advance!!

@hhawkins

Sorry this happened. Soon you may see a way of purchasing the domain name you used to have from whomever bought it. Though you may pay dearly for it.....

Many folks buy expired domains, all the work you have put into advertising, seo everything else is a asset.

One reason it is so important for domain owners to auto renew here in gd. Or keep on top of when your domain name expires.

Best to think of another name you would like. Start the process all over again with this experience as a learning tool......

Again sorry to be the one to tell you this,

Coralie

Mrsroadrunner Photography

Same problem plz help me

Go to Domain Name Management and check Domains -> Expired Domains.  Also verify it's not in Pending Account Changes -> Outgoing changes just to be sure.  You can also go to HTTP://WHOIS.GODADDY.COM to run a whois and see what registrar "state" the domain is in, and whether it's still registered under your information or not.  Generally speaking if it's 10 days or less you should be able to renew it no problem; within 2 weeks you can renew it with $0 fees; up to 30 or 40 days-ish you can still renew it though GoDaddy might have a large fee associated with it; beyond that it could enter into GoDaddy's registrar limbo where you may or may not be able to recover it (GoDaddy auctions expired domain names for profit).

Hello Community,

I have an expired domain that want to renew, but is not listed on the recovery section, and is still not available to the public either.  The whois status says "Registry Status: pendingDelete".

Please help! SOS! Thanks a lot!

Regards

@caamano Hi there. When a domain name is in "pendingdelete" status it is unable to be renewed. The domain name will be released 6 days after the last "updated" date on the domain. For example, if the status of the domain name is pendingdelete and the last updated date was November 10th, the domain name was be released from the registry today between 2 PM and 3 PM Eastern time. 

You may want to purchase a "backorder" from Godaddy who will then attempt to register the domain on your behalf as soon as the registry releases it. Information on backorders are here: https://www.godaddy.com/domainaddon/domain-backorders.aspx

---