cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
made2105
Skilled

How to claim domain already registered

A client of mine has a registered trademark already granted and approved. When I came to GoDaddy to register a domain for that brand, I found out the domain was already taken, I assume by GoDaddy itself.

This person owns the name and brand. How can I claim the domain for the rightful owner?

Thanks for your help!

7 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
Pro Community Founder Artisan
Solution

Re: How to claim domain already registered

Having the registered trademark wouldn't necessarily give you the rights to any domain @made2105. Occasionally I wish it worked that way but it does not. Since the domain is already registered it has probably been in existence before your trademark? Odds are GoDaddy does not own the domain but instead are the registrars of the domain? Have a look at the domain information at whois.godaddy.com. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

made2105
Skilled

Thanks, rd! I totally agree with you that having the registered trademark should give you the rights to the domain.

The domain is parked in GoDaddy but doesn't have a website. Seems if my client wants to get the domain, she'll have to  pay $ 69.99 (?) plus commision. Smiley Sad

On another note, GoDaddy should have a live chat!

To be clear @made2105 the "occasionally" I was referring to is when I need a domain matching a trademarked name. When I'm selling a domain name I have no issue with the current way the system works. 

Additionally the $69.99 is just the broker fee. You have broker fee plus domain sale price and the 20% commission (determined by the sale price). The domain is parked by GoDaddy does not mean that they own it. Did you lookup the ICANN information? I am a fan of the GoDaddy domain broker service. I have found them to be wonderful advocates and trust them with my domain transactions. Not all parked domains are for sale but perhaps for the right price? 

GoDaddy does have a live chat but it is not 24/7. Last I heard it was Mon-Fri at 5AM - 6PM Arizona time (UTC-7).

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

@made2105 wrote:

A client of mine has a registered trademark already granted and approved. When I came to GoDaddy to register a domain for that brand, I found out the domain was already taken, I assume by GoDaddy itself.

This person owns the name and brand. How can I claim the domain for the rightful owner?

Thanks for your help!

Perhaps of note there is a case that could set precedent on this issue centering around the domain name france.com We'll see how that turns out as it could pave the way for dispute over lithe domain names like lincoln.com, batman.com and literally thousands of other domains. Stay tuned! 

made2105
Skilled

Hopefully it will set a precedent! Thanks for your interest and advice, rd.

When I said GoDaddy doesn't have a live chat, I referred to an online chat. I'm outside the US and international phone calls can be very expensive Man Wink

It'll set precedent either way it turns out and that'll be good or bad depending on which view you take. The live chat is an online chat but currently it is mainly available during US operating hours. It should come online during your afternoon or evening depending on your timezone. 

made2105
Skilled

Thanks, rd. I'll wait for the chat to come online then.