cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to override the 60 day transfer lock?

earlier this month i updated the contact emails for my domains. 

Now i can not transfer any domains to another registrar. 

That is terrible, as i need to move around 10 domains.

is there a simple way to override this stupid 60days locks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @halillea

The other response here was correct. You were warned when you made the change that it could lock the domain for 60 days against transfer. This is to protect your domains in the account.

While we understand your need to be able to transfer a domain name to another registrar, we see a definitive correlation between Registrant contact information updates and domain name hijacking. In order to simply avoid this lock, you may directly transfer the name to the buyer at the new registrar and have him/her update the registrant information when he/she receives the domain name. If you would like to have this lock reviewed, you may email a description of your situation to REVIEW60@SECURESERVER.NET to request that the lock be removed. They will review and ask for your approval to revert the information.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Retired
Not applicable

@halillea,

Override? No!

Legitimate way maybe:

So step by step, here’s how it goes:

1. If you change your domain name registrant name at Go Daddy, it turns on their 60-day transfer lock. They do post notices of this before you make the change, and they do email about it. (unless caught by your spam filter, knock on wood…)

2. You’ll get an email with an email address to contact a team at Godaddy to appeal the lock.

If you can't find the email (bad spam filters) then please contact support for further confirmation and assistance.

great so Godaddy is making it harder for domainers to manage a portfolio

look, i'm gonna contact the support, if it's not solved this week, i'll transfer my portfolio to another registrar

they could have easily added this option on the domain management backoffice,

it look like they just want to make it harder to transfer out, that's just bad practice 

Retired
Not applicable

@halillea,

@halillea wrote:

great so Godaddy is making it harder for domainers to manage a portfolio

look, i'm gonna contact the support, if it's not solved this week, i'll transfer my portfolio to another registrar

they could have easily added this option on the domain management backoffice,

it look like they just want to make it harder to transfer out, that's just bad practice 

........... and it's also bad manners to not to thank someone (not employed by godaddy) after helping.

The simple reason for the 60 day lock is to stop hackers in their tracks........ the owner get's an email warning! It's effective though a little annoying sometimes, rather like getting luggage searched before a flight. Would you like to get on a plane where they made no searches?

But everyone knows about this before dealing with godaddy domains, to most people it is not a problem. I do not recommend making threats, or taking an aggressive stance, to support as you will probably end up nowhere fast. It also will not get favourable replies on our forum, and I for one will not help you further...........📳

FYI, this is not something imposed by GoDaddy. It is a newer requirement from ICANN (the organization that implements rules and guidelines regarding domain registration) that went into effect on August 1st, 2016: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-09-24-en

To be clear -- the ICANN rules specify that the registrar "MAY" impose up to a 60-day hold in these various circumstances - but not that it MUST.

THAT is an internal policy, clearly designed to slow the exodus of domains from the GoDaddy universe. Given the GoDaddy priority of marketing over service and support, it's understandable... but perhaps counterproductive.

It has served as an excellent reminder of why I haven't done business with this organization in 20 years, and why I will never do business with them again.

the email you receive come from donotreply@godaddy.com and don't mention any other email

godaddy always make it harder to contact them, 

you have to figure out by yourself how to contact them as they don't even have a submit a ticket for support on their website

Hi @halillea

The other response here was correct. You were warned when you made the change that it could lock the domain for 60 days against transfer. This is to protect your domains in the account.

While we understand your need to be able to transfer a domain name to another registrar, we see a definitive correlation between Registrant contact information updates and domain name hijacking. In order to simply avoid this lock, you may directly transfer the name to the buyer at the new registrar and have him/her update the registrant information when he/she receives the domain name. If you would like to have this lock reviewed, you may email a description of your situation to REVIEW60@SECURESERVER.NET to request that the lock be removed. They will review and ask for your approval to revert the information.

View solution in original post

@TLH Dude i asked GoDaddy support its impossible to unlock the domain.
If i send request at REVIEW60@SECURESERVER.NET
How they unlock 60 days locking period??

Yes, but the instructions given by GoDaddy explain that a 60 day hold will occur if either the ORGANIZATION name or FIRST or LAST NAME (when no organization name is given with the domain registration info) are changed.  It sounds like this person only changed his/her contact email.  And this is what has just happened to me.  I only updated the contact email, not the organization or name, and now there is a 60 day hold on my domain.   Very frustrating, to say the least.

@susantau3701wrote:

Yes, but the instructions given by GoDaddy explain that a 60 day hold will occur if either the ORGANIZATION name or FIRST or LAST NAME (when no organization name is given with the domain registration info) are changed.  It sounds like this person only changed his/her contact email.  And this is what has just happened to me.  I only updated the contact email, not the organization or name, and now there is a 60 day hold on my domain.   Very frustrating, to say the least.

Please note that to protect valuable domains from scammer / hackers - any change in contact info - there will be 60 days lock. This include change in email also.

If the buyer of a domain in lock is a GoDaddy client can they get ownership but have to wait another 60 days to move to another registrar? - Thanks - Steve

Hi @StevD703

Welcome to the Community! If the seller is also a GoDaddy customer, the domain can still be moved from one GoDaddy account to another as soon as funds clear.

If the seller is at another registrar and the domain is under ICANN 60-day lock, the best option for the buyer will be to temporarily create an account at that registrar and move it to that new account so that it will now be under the buyer's control. After the lock is lifted there, you would be free to move it to your account at GoDaddy. 

New

Hello,

I was in the process of selling my domain and transfering it to the preferred registrar of the buyer that I changed contact info and as of sudden I have found that 60 days lock on the domain is imposed. Is there anyway to optout of this lock or must wait for the 60 days?