cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

How to point Godaddy hosted subdomain to external host server?

I have a domain hosted with Godaddy.  I have created a subdomain, like blog.example.com. 

I need to point only the subdomain to the new site I am creating on Siteground.  I do not want to change the DNS host server settings for the main domain because there is already a site hosted there on Godaddy.

How do I point the subdomain to an external host server?

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: How to point Godaddy hosted subdomain to external host server?

@AnnMarie1 

I'm assuming you already know how to create the subdomain. All you have to do is change the IP it points to (the A record) and make sure it points to the Siteground hosting IP. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi,

I have created the subdomain and added the A record that points to the Siteground IP address.  I also went to Siteground and specified the subdomain and the domain for the new site.  After I did that, their site indicated that the domain has been set up for that website, and then they say to point the domain to the new host server, and supplied 2 new DNS addresses to use.  I sounds like I am not done, yet...?  Or maybe that message is standard when someone is pointing a domain (that is not a subdomain)???

Your help is appreciated. 

MrVapor, you're correct - creating the A record is all that is needed. 

Thanks for your help!

Super User III
Super User III

Wonderful! I'm glad I could help. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community