cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

I can't access my DNS records

I'm trying to change my DNS records for my domain that is currently being hosted somewhere else.  I do not have access to the hosting account because I fired the guy who built my website and he will not give me any login information.  I have now built a new website and want to point my domain to it.  When I try to manage my DNS records I get the message "we cannot display your DNS information because your namservers are not managed by us".  I was told that the changes need to be made with the hosting company but because I can't access my account is there a way to have the name servers changed back to the default ones like if I had just purchased the domain from GoDaddy?  Currently it will not allow me to change them in my account.  I  just want to post my new website and have no way of doing it.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: I can't access my DNS records

If the domain is in your account you can default the nameservers to the godaddy ones. This will immediately break any connection to the hosting and email. Once this is done you can setup a new hosting account and email with godaddy but you will not have any of the website content or email messages from the old provider. 

Mike L. | WebPro
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@eobelk,

It is a common misconception that the hosting has to provide the nameservers.

1 Go to your hosting provider(where you keep your new website files).

2 Add a new domain and use the old domain that you want transferred (this will setup your hosting to start receiving requests from that domain - vHosts).

3 Go to your domain management(registrar not hosting) and set your nameservers to default.

4 Add or edit your DNS records to make sure that @ points to your new hosting's IP

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
New

That's why I'm having the problems.  The domain is registered with GoDaddy but the name servers are currently pointing to Host Gator.  When I log in to GoDaddy it does not give me an option to change the name servers back to default...I even spoke with 2 different tech support people and they told me they can't change it back to GoDaddy so I can go in and edit the zone records.  My new website is on weebly and I need to change the A records in the DNS files but I can't access the DNS records because of the name servers being hosted somewhere else right now.  I do not have access to the Hostgator account to change them.

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

@eobelk,

Go to My Products > Domains > Manage > Settings:

Under name servers, click manage and select standard

New

Thank you so much!  I've been trying to figure this out for 2 weeks now!  

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@eobelk,

AGATCHUBACKBRO,  glad to help.

New

Hi. Similar problem. Domain registered at GoDaddy, website hosted by someone else and trying to set up email addresses through Zoho. Cannot see Records because GoDaddy does not manage nameservers (I guess because the website is hosted elsewhere?) and so I cannot set up a CNAME to continue my email address setup.

Not even sure if I should be calling you, the website host, Zoho or who.   

I can't add records to my DNS.Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 09.54.38.png

how can solve this problem

New

We can't display your DNS

when im going to modify my DNS it show me this message 

We can't display your DNS information because your nameservers aren't managed by us.

how can i solve that 
it causes big problem with me 
thanks for your reply