cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't create a Subdomain

Hello, I have a domain name from Godaddy and my site is being hosted by Shopify. I already have an existing site - example.com under my name. I want to create a subdomain for another country example.com/us. A lot of subdomains are really showing the content inside the Root site ( like a sub-collection etc) but I want example.com/us to be a fully functional working site for a separate country. This way, I will be extending it to other countries if/when we are ready. I also don't want another way like us.example.com or example.us formats until and unless the way I suggested is simply not possible.

I did my research and there are sites which are currently doing this. This would have a lesser impact on SEO for one and then, it also will help in creating less hassle for admins who are managing the site. I am just wondering if it is possible with Godaddy. Please let me know. Any inputs are appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: I can't create a Subdomain

@newbie7 

A subdomain is what comes BEFORE the domain

US.example.com is a sample subdomain

Where you asked about example.com/us - this would only work if you were hosting the site and created a 2nd site in the us folder 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you so much for the answer. I don't think creating a subdirectory to manage a country is an option for me now. The next question I have is if I were to go with us.example.com or any other sub-domains which is the best practice instead of creating a new domain name altogether like example.us etc , would there be any other advantage ( apart from Google not penalizing the search results per each site). I have both sites registered but I just want to know as I heard that SEO is a known issue. I am not sure if this is also genuine as all it will do is prioritize one site over the other in local country results which to me sounds fine. Is there any major disadvantage apart from this ? If this is the only major disadvantage for taking a brand new country domain example.us or example.eu, then why is it such a big disadvantage?

Super User III
Super User III

@newbie7 

As you said going with the country TLD - i.e. .us, .ca, .eu etc

1) can be costly 

2) sometimes has extra hoops to jump through as you need a proxy in country to register it for you

In regards to SEO, what you may need to do is have canonical URLs on the country sites that point back to the main site so even though it is the same content this will tell the search engines, hey this is a copy of content from this other place  (https://yoast.com/rel-canonical/)

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I just went through the article and thanks for the details.

1. Do you mean to say registering Domains as an additional expense? No matter which approach I take ( Separate Domain or Sub Domain), I would still have to get a different store for every country as per Shopify and apart from some common things which can happen between these stores, the rest of it all is the same expense. 

2. Country-specific website registering - Proxy ( Sounds Genuine reason to me)

3. SEO results - Canonical results can be pointed to one site ( at least that is the resolution they say) but my sites may sell or may not sell the same products based on customer taste. The other thing is that no matter which approach I took, this problem still remains as apparently, a subdomain still will have the same problem if many versions of the same content are there.

Is my understanding correct? Pls let me know if I am wrong.

1. Do you mean to say registering Domains as an additional expense? No matter which approach I take ( Separate Domain or Sub Domain), I would still have to get a different store for every country as per Shopify and apart from some common things which can happen between these stores, the rest of it all is the same expense. 

If you are getting a different store for each area those should have different infrastructure and IP address (why would they host an EU site in USA?).  You could then create a sub-domain for the new country and use the IP over there.  The only problem with this is unless you have a wildcard SSL cert, you may be stuck buying a bunch of certificates for the sub-domains; unless you can add a SAN to your SSL cert for the sub-domain, but I'm not sure if you can do that.  Unless Shopify takes care of all of that for you.

Wouldn't it be better to submit to "EU Google" your EU sub-domain for more specific results for that area?