cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

I can't create a subdomain

I recently bought a domain and have tried creating a sub domain with every instruction given on this site and on the web but to no avail.

The sub domain is to be linked to a blogspot blog; I'm wondering if the reason I'm having issues is because the blog address I linked to my custom domain is under the same gmail profile as the blog I want to link to the sub domain.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I've been battling with this for the past 2 weeks.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: I can't create a subdomain

Hi @Nks_Lolo. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It sounds like you're dealing with two issues. The first is creating the subdomain in your DNS settings and the second is connecting that subdomain to Blogger/Blogspot. The links in this article should help you find and change the DNS settings. (Keep in mind this is only good if the domain is using GoDaddy nameservers.) I'd take a look at this Google support doc for the information you need to change. If you run into problems, you'll want to share specifically what problems you're having so others in the community can try to help. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks, Jesse

I've tried the solutions given in the articles but can't seem to figure it out.

I'm using the default nameservers GoDaddy assigned to my domain, will I need to change them?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Nks_Lolo Using the default nameservers should be fine. You may want to share your domain and the subdomain you're trying to set up. That way community members can take a look at your situation and see if they can offer suggestions. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Dear Jesse,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this..

My domain is theunipedia.org and I want to create the subdomain, 'america.theunipedia.org' for a blogspot blog I created earlier.

If anyone can help me with this, I'll be most grateful.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@Nks_Lolo Since you're using a subdomain, I'm guessing you want theunipedia.org to point to something else. In this situation, I think you can just create a CNAME for "america" that points to ghs.googlehosted.com. You'll also need to set up your Blogspot account to use america.theunipedia.org. You should be able to do this in the Settings area. Depending on what you want to do with the main part of your domain, you can update that accordingly. 

Dear Jesse,

I'll try this out and give feedback...

Thanks so much

Dear Jesse,

Thank you so much; I'm literally screaming that this actually worked.

For further breakdown for others who might want to know the exact steps I took, this is what I did.

1) I took Jesse's advice and created the CNAME for the subdomain I wanted; 'america' points to 'ghs.googlehosted.com'

2) Went off to Blogspot to set up a third party URL for my blog; I typed in 'america.theunipedia.org' (without www) in the entry box.

3) I then turned off the HTTPS availability and loaded my blog; voila, it came up as the subdomain I created.

4) After a minute or two, I set the HTTPS availability back to yes, re-loaded my blog and it came up as my subdomain but now with a secure certificate.

Thanks so much Jesse, really appreciate your guidance (a million hugs).