cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

I cant remove privacy protection from domain

This should be straight forward as it involves GoDaddy sending a code to my email to verify ownership.  But each code isnt recognised.  There is no risk of typos as I'm cutting and pasting each code and making sure there isnt a gap at either end.  So either GoDaddy has a glitch or they just dont want me to able to do this!  Is there a way around this please?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: I cant remove privacy protection from domain

Here are the steps to cancel Private Registration.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/cancel-private-registration-1625

Though if you have Protected Registration, that would need to be canceled first.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/cancel-protected-registration-1292

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User II
Solution

@Dan55Protected registration is an optional upgrade that adds additional verification steps when making certain changes to the domain.  It can be cancelled, you would just need to do the verification first.  If you're unable to do the verification then alternate documents would need to be submitted so support knows they are talking to the right person.  All domains registered with GoDaddy include a registrar level lock which is good enough for many, some prefer to add another lock at the registry level which requires the verification.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hey there @jen000 

Unfortunately, we don't have the diagnostic tools to determine the issue in this community. We're mostly volunteers, not employees. On this particular issue, I think the best way to get it resolved is to give GoDaddy a call and work the issue.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
Super User II
Solution

Here are the steps to cancel Private Registration.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/cancel-private-registration-1625

Though if you have Protected Registration, that would need to be canceled first.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/cancel-protected-registration-1292

Highlighted

Hi @jen000,

Welcome to the Community!

GoDaddy has no reason to keep you from removing the Protected Registration on the account. The feature is there to prevent unauthorized users from transferring your domain, or from allowing the domain to inadvertently expire. It sounds as though you are receiving the code needed to complete the process. The instructions sent in the previous reply should assist you. Please be sure you are taking this action in a private/incognito browsing window. (It sounds like you may have a caching issue with your browser, especially if these steps have been taken several times. 

If you are still not successful, you can request the removal by GoDaddy domain agents by going to x.co/cancelpr. You'll need to provide identity documentation and allow 24-72 hours to receive a reply. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support
Highlighted
New

Hi to all customers,

sadly still not able to remove Protected registration to any domain. I have tried to ask support to resolve the issue several times spending really very long time, but they are still not able to resolve given problem. Protected registration removal is prerequisite for cancelling auto renewals or cancelling domain registration. Support is not reachable through any phone line (tried many times). I am considering to cancel account.because wasted a lot of time and GoDaddy is just robbing money from customer due to not able to cancel Protected registration and auto renewals which are enabled by default (vicious circle) and nobody at GoDaddy is willing to resolve this case.

Highlighted
Super User II

@AZ_99    I am sorry that you are having troubles with this.  But also think about it from the other side, if someone else was trying to gain access to your account you wouldn't want support to 'make an exception just this time' for anyone else.  Protected Registration does not come with domains by default, it is an optional upgrade that makes it harder for unauthorized changes.

Aside from that I am not sure what you have tried so far.  If you've never set-up 2 factor authentication you would simply need to set that up before canceling Protected Registration.  Otherwise if you've lost access to your 2 factor authentication or are unable to set it up you'll need to contact a special department and verify who you are to make sure the changes are authorized.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/cancel-two-step-verification-7628

Highlighted
New

Hi Nate,

I clearly fully understand the scope of Protected registration and two factor authentication (I am SW engineer). Protected registration is not coming with new domains by default that is correct, but if it was assigned/setup-ed in the past there it will be auto renewed automatically due to previous setup. I have wasted a lot of time with GoDaddy support not able to resolve reported issue for long time., just providing generic articles, chat without any value which can not help in my case, not listening and not trying to do serious root cause analysis. There is history behind development of product Protected registration, some options of authorization verification are still not available worldwide like phone numbers due to limitations of GoDaddy systems. GoDaddy also added possibility for phone alternative through Google Auth application which is correctly working only for login but it is not working for removing Protected registration as it should. I would like to ask experienced support team member having ability to see logs to work with me more closely to fix related issues, not providing generic articles because they can not resolve this case, I have read all of them and trying relevant workflows without any success (because there might be specific problems behind and i will be not able to see related details from user side).

I am customer of GoDaddy for many years, having many domains, I do not understand why support is not able to resolve case i have reported seriously and I have to waste a lot of time again and again, it can be resolved easily but close cooperation with experienced engineer is required (see related details, not just go through generic articles and chats/calls without any progress). Would be good to escalate this case to someone who can really provide resolution. Till now I have wasted a lot of time and money (because some domains need to use and I had only one option pay for something i do not need, but i am still in deadlock situation due to GoDaddy). Thank you for your time and proactive cooperation.

Highlighted
Super User II

Like I said I was not sure what you have tried so far.  Note that I am another end-user like yourself, so I do not have access to your account information or support history. 

If you are unable to use 2 factor authentication you'll need to verify your identity using alternate means to help prevent unauthorized changes.

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/ProtectedRegistration/Index

Highlighted
New

Hi Nate,

i would like to kindly ask you to try to help not only providing generic well known information.

Involve somebody responsible, please. I have wasted a lot of time with support...

Two factor authentication is working only for login as I wrote previously,

it means verification of this service itself is not needed, it is not working .for any other operations

which means deeper investigation and root cause analysis is required. not only just providing generic statements. How can i escalate this case to management level ? I am still wasting a lot of time and money, because i am still in deadlock situation as user/customer.

Thank you.

Hi all,

let me add information about status:

- removal of protected registration (if not observing issues): https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-two-step-verification-7502

- removal of protected registration (if you have any issue, there is manual procedure, may take several business days): follow form:

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/ProtectedRegistration/Index

Keep in mind:

- if deside to remove protected registration somebody might try to seal domain

- if you plan to activate protected registration consider deactivation of autorenewals to prevent possible issues (not able to do cancellation or any changes for given domain even if it is not related to protection itself...)

Highlighted
New

looks like a class action may be starting to build- Go Daddy is purposely stopping customers from canceling unneeded products. 

Highlighted
Super User II
Solution

@Dan55Protected registration is an optional upgrade that adds additional verification steps when making certain changes to the domain.  It can be cancelled, you would just need to do the verification first.  If you're unable to do the verification then alternate documents would need to be submitted so support knows they are talking to the right person.  All domains registered with GoDaddy include a registrar level lock which is good enough for many, some prefer to add another lock at the registry level which requires the verification.