cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

I'm finding out there is no way for your URL to appear with www? Is this true?

I'm finding out there is no way for your URL to appear with www? Is this true?

12 REPLIES 12
Super User III
Super User III

Re: www not possible?

@CorCon 

I'm not sure who told you this, but I've never heard of that.

If your site will not display with www. make sure you go into the DNS and add a CNAME for www for the host and points to is @

I will say that Google Chrome (and perhaps others) will shorten the display of the URL - so even if it is loading over www. it will only show the root domain unless you double click on the address bar

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

That's already there, it's not allowing www.mywebsite.com, when you put it in manually it hard redirects to https://mywebsite.com

I have no idea how to do it if it's possible.

Super User III
Super User III

So it sounds like perhaps you have a word press website and the main URL is sad without the WWW

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

.@PL281 The record is already there, deleting or re-adding it does nothing. Edits abound, no, it's a godaddy host, I'm told because it's website builder this is not possible.

Super User III
Super User III

@CorCon

You stated that if you go to www.yourdomain.com in redirects to yourdomain.com without the www.

If this is a WordPress website, if you go to settings->General you should see the domain without the www and you can add it there.

If this is not a WordPress as site you should check if you have a .htaccess file that maybe doing the redirect

It's godaddy, it's just godaddy.

Super User III
Super User III

@CorCon

Could you please post your actual domain.

Removed

Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

If it's on GoDaddy Website Builder, the platform automatically does the redirect.  This is actually preferable for www to redirect to non-www or vise versa.  Some platforms do let you choose which way you want it to be, unfortunately the simplified website builder here these types of options are predetermined.

That is really quite awful and a better explanation of what I was already told.

Dreadful.

Super User III
Super User III

@CorCon 

As @Nate  said the GoDaddy Website Builder (Websites & Marketing) automatically redirects to without the www. 

Here is a website that talks about why it is actually a good idea to "drop" the www https://dropwww.com/

Also as mentioned in one of my previous posts, Chrome is actually hiding it https://www.howtogeek.com/435728/chrome-now-hides-www-and-https-in-addresses.-do-you-care/

Chrome is not hiding it in this case, obviously, but it seems like converting to WordPress would be the only option, and vanity isn't worth that much.