Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Issue with losing a domain

I bought a domain before choosing my WebHost, I chose to go with WordPress but would get a free domain with the purchase, I felt really bummed to find out after I purchased my domain, so as I am sure I am not the only one running against this problem I asked for a refund with a GoDaddy agent and they said it was possible but I would risk losing the domain, as I don't have and don't want a second option for my domain name I was recommended to leave it be. I'm sad my problem couldn't be resolved as it was a big sum of money for me so I would like to suggest the option for adding this deal of putting the WordPress + free domain option when wanting to purchase a domain as I am sure people would be happy saving some money on this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TLH

Hi @kayranzijn,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, the registration of a domain is not like purchasing other products. When you purchase a domain at ANY registrar, it is registered through the Registry that provides it. It can't just be "returned" like GoDaddy hosting or email. 

If the registration is new, you can usually cancel it within 120 hours for a full refund. But the domain gets sent back to the Registry. When they make it available (in about 30 days - at their discretion), anyone can register it again. The agent you spoke to didn't want you to risk someone else registering it before you. 

If you've purchased GoDaddy's Managed WordPress hosting, (and the domain purchase is new) you can certainly ask for a supervisor when you call customer support to request being credited for the registration. It's up to them as it is outside of standard policy. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TLH

Hi @kayranzijn,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, the registration of a domain is not like purchasing other products. When you purchase a domain at ANY registrar, it is registered through the Registry that provides it. It can't just be "returned" like GoDaddy hosting or email. 

If the registration is new, you can usually cancel it within 120 hours for a full refund. But the domain gets sent back to the Registry. When they make it available (in about 30 days - at their discretion), anyone can register it again. The agent you spoke to didn't want you to risk someone else registering it before you. 

If you've purchased GoDaddy's Managed WordPress hosting, (and the domain purchase is new) you can certainly ask for a supervisor when you call customer support to request being credited for the registration. It's up to them as it is outside of standard policy. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post