cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Making my domain work without www in front

my naked domain is not redirecting to www.    i recently transfered my domain from web4africa to godaddy, since then have been having issues when i try to use my naked domain it keeps saying 404 error

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Making my domain work without www in front

My website only works with a www. in front of it. How can I change it so it works without www.

I've had GoDaddy for many years with other domains and this particular one is doing it for some reason. It is a redirect to an e-store.

Thanks

HI @lymemarketing, thanks for posting.

This is usually an issue with the DNS settings. Generally this occurs when a site is pointing to a service using the "WWW" cname instead of the "@" A Record or IP address. You may want to follow up with your store/site provider to see if they have another way to point your domain name to their service. 

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Hi,

My site won't load without entering www. before the domain.  My domain is joeportolese.com and unless www.joeportolese.com is entered, it redirects to the default GoDaddy page.

I'm the process of building a site so I'm redirecting my site to a service called Band Page. Pretty sure I have the www CNAME set up correctly (joeportolese.bandpage.com), but I'm thinking I must have missed another setting. Any ideas?

Joe

11/27/2016 my site wont work for jonahawilson.com only for www.jonahawilson.com. 

something is wrong.

New

hi i also suffering from this type of problems. I also want to know the solution. my domain is http://www.wilburtech.com/   

Plz give me suggestion 

Helper V
Helper V

@oleevergist to Clarify

• Is yourdomain.com giving a 404 while www.yourdomain.com is working or do both give 404 errors?
  • Before transferring your domain was yourdomain.com working?
  • After transferring your domain did you switch hosting providers?
  • Where is your site hosted and if Godaddy what hosting do you have?
  • What is your domain name?

Will need more information to determine what is causing the problem. There are 2 things that can cause issues.

1. DNS - You will need to make sure you have your domain pointing to the correct IP Address for your hosting and will need to make sure any subdomain you want is also pointing to the hosting IP.
  2. Webhost - You will need to make sure your webhost is properly setup for yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com if you want that working. You can even setup a redirect so www.mydomain.com goes to mydomain.com

• Is yourdomain.com giving a 404 while www.yourdomain.com is working or do both give 404 errors? =  my www.oleevergist.com is working ... but oleevergist.com is 404 error...........           
    • Before transferring your domain was yourdomain.com working? = yes ,very prefectly       
    • After transferring your domain did you switch hosting providers? =  i dont have any hosting provider , im using blogspot...... so i think i dont need hosting

how do i get the correct ip address?

Records
Last updated 25/05/2017 06:21
Type Name Value TTL Actions
A @ 216.239.32.21 1 Hour Edit
A @ 216.239.34.21 1 Hour Edit
A @ 216.239.36.21 1 Hour Edit
A @ 216.239.38.21 1 Hour Edit
CNAME 5m5yugh3qutp gv-naziemk74wsx4f.dv.googlehosted.com 1 Hour Edit
CNAME email email.secureserver.net 1 Hour Edit
CNAME ftp @ 1 Hour Edit
CNAME wwww ghs.google.com 1 Hour Edit
CNAME _domainconnect1 _domainconnect1.gd.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour Edit
MX @ mailstore1.secureserver.net (Priority: 10) 1 Hour Edit
MX @ smtp.secureserver.net (Priority: 0) 1 Hour Edit
NS @ ns29.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour
NS @ ns30.domaincontrol.com 1 Hour

Thats my record...... please help.....thanks in advance

Helper V
Helper V
Solution

@oleevergist  I checked your DNS and see that www.oleevergist.com and oleevergist.com are pointing to different IP Addresses.

oleevergist.com. 3599 IN A 216.239.34.21

www.oleevergist.com. 3283 IN CNAME ghs.google.com.
ghs.google.com. 86399 IN CNAME ghs.l.google.com.
ghs.l.google.com. 299 IN A 172.217.7.179

To fix you will need to follow the steps to Delete DNS Records for oleevergist.com

You will then need to Add a CNAME record for oleevergist.com pointing it to www.oleevergist.com

That should fix your Domain. Looking at Blogspot site it states you can't use oleevergist.com and require to use a subdomain like www.oleevergist.com. Since that is working you can follow the above steps and that should fix your domain oleevergist.com

Thanks alot for the response. I really appreciate it. My question ; I'm I to delete all the dns records.... Or a specific one... If it's a specific one which one please....
Secondly... Give me an example of the new cname I will add after deleting

Helper V
Helper V

@oleevergist Due to the Standards that state you can not use a CNAME for your Domain, Google does not allow you to set oleevergist.com as your domain. To get around this you will need t omake a few changes. You will need 2 DNS Records to make this work. one for oleevergist.com and one for www.oleevergist.com Currently you have the following.

A Record: oleevergist.com    216.239.34.21

CNAME: www.oleevergist.com ghs.google.com.
To make this work correctly you will need to Delete the A record for oleevergist.com Once deleted you will need to Add a CNAME Record for oleevergist.com pointing it to www.oleevergist.com This will allow both www.oleevergist.com and oleevergist.com to point to your Blogspot site.

i'm not getting it right......  please is  there a way you can help me do it for me..... have tried everything ,i'm not just getting it...... have never had this kind of issues before. don't know why this is giving me problem. is there a way you can help me do it from your system over there, please.........

the thing is that i seriously don't know the  CNAME record to add for oleevergist.com  for it to pointing  to www.oleevergist.com

I Purchased hosting for the domain patibonservices.com but still cannot access this website weeks later.

Please what could be the problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @meks285,

please recheck that you have hosting for this domain. That the transaction went through correctly. Please contact support for further investigation.

Smiley Happy

Hi Kazi, 

I've been having the same issue for months. Could you please let me know how it's fixed please??

Many thanks in advance!

New

i am having the same issue here.

i have tried all i could but my domain isn't still working without www

pls help

New
Solution

Below steps worked for me

1. Setup CNAME www to provided DNS target by hosting org.
  2. ping www.domain.com and copy the IP.
  3. Add A record with @ point to IP copied from step 2.

This should make it work. 

Cheers!!