cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Moved domain out of my account into another account, still points to my old hosting

Way back in the day I set up hosting and a domain in my main account for a client. I got real tired of asking her for a check every year to renew so this year I set her up a new account, had her purchase hosting and transferred her domain to her new account. BUT... I cannot get her domain pointed to her new hosting account. It keeps telling me the domain name is not available when I try and set up her hosting. What do I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Advocate VI

Is the domain still tied to the old hosting package that is in your account? I have had to deal with this situation before, where the domain points to an existing hosting package, and you want to point to a new hosting package (when both were at GD).

What worked for me was to change the domain on the old hosting package from domain.com to something like test.domain.com. Wait for that to resolve, and it should free up the domain. Then make sure that the domain is pointing to the right nameservers in her account as well (because it could still be pointing to the nameservers on the old hosting).

If I have now thoroughly confused you, best to call Tech Support and they will help you figure it out.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Advocate VI

Is the domain still tied to the old hosting package that is in your account? I have had to deal with this situation before, where the domain points to an existing hosting package, and you want to point to a new hosting package (when both were at GD).

What worked for me was to change the domain on the old hosting package from domain.com to something like test.domain.com. Wait for that to resolve, and it should free up the domain. Then make sure that the domain is pointing to the right nameservers in her account as well (because it could still be pointing to the nameservers on the old hosting).

If I have now thoroughly confused you, best to call Tech Support and they will help you figure it out.

View solution in original post