cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My domain forwarding stops working on my PC but will still work on my phone

It has this topic up a week ago, and someone marked it as solved when it was not solved.  The forwarding starting working again for no reason, and it has now stopped again.  It should not have been marked as solved and her it is again:

My godaddy account is from the US and I believe all of the configurations are based upon that.  I have many sub domains from hangingout.net forwarded to other random domains as short cuts.  

Like a.hangingout.net is forwarded without masking to https://hangingout.appfolio.com/ or

hangingout.net to http://hangingout.dev8.redaxle.com and many others.

Typically everything works fine, but after some amount of time the forwarding no longer works unless I call into godaddy and they "refresh" the domain. Who knows what that means but as soon as they do that all of the forwards come back to life instead of hanging and then chrome telling me "This site can’t be reached".  It also fails in EDGE and IE

Before "refreshing" the domain, if I us my mobile phone with mobile data, it forwards without a problem. If I connect my mobile phone to my house wifi, sometimes it will forward and other times it wont.

17 REPLIES 17
Super User III
Super User III

Re: My domain forwarding stops working on my PC but will still work on my phone

@hangingout 

I just tried this on my computer and it works fine - If it works fine from you cell phone (non wifi) but stops when you connect to wifi. That suggests there is something with your internet connection / network configuration.

If you have any settings on your network for the domain name, you will need to make sure they match the settings for all the forwards. 

That is what this sounds like is happening

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I wasn't clear in my description:

With both devices using Chrome, my android phone and windows 10 PC, and both logged into the same WIFI network, and cellphone data turned off, I can experience this problem where the PC is unable to forward properly but the Phone forwards and connects to the proper pointer URL.

It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it can happen for days.

Right now for instance, from my phone I can connect to hangingout.net and it forwards to http://hangingout.dev8.redaxle.com/ without a problem....

But from the PC when I enter hangingout.net I get this message in chrome.

This site can’t be reached

www.hangingout.net took too long to respond.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Super User III
Super User III

@hangingout 

If you open a command window and ping hangingout.net what do you get for the response?

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

clipboard_image_0.png

Super User III
Super User III

@hangingout 

ok so based on that it's hitting the correct place and the redirect should work fine - what about if you do with the www do you get same IP address??

sorry I don't understand your question:

what about if you do with the www do you get same IP address??

What do you want me to try / do?

Below is the PING with www attached, and whether I use www. or just the domain, the URL is not forwarded.

clipboard_image_0.png

Super User III
Super User III

@hangingout 

You did exactly what I was looking for - So your computer is getting the correct response from the internet about where to go to. So if you are still having an issue in your browser I suggest clearing your cache as the domain side of things is set correctly

<p>I have cleared the cache, and hit F12 and emptied cache and hard reload. I have tried to access from MS Edge or MS IE 11 and still it wont forward. Even accessed it from other computers next to mine on the same WiFi network and still wont forward.&nbsp; Getting message from IE &amp; EDGE CANT REACH THIS PAGE</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
Super User III
Super User III

@hangingout 

Ok some follow up questions then

1) Does it work in a private / incognito window?

2) Can you go directly to the URL you are forwarding it to?

3) Who is your internet provider?

doesn't work in incognito mode

yes, i can access the URL it is forwarding to directly

ISP is CableVision Fibertel in argentina

more data

If I use my cell phone as a wireless WIFI hot spot, meaning using the Claro cellular data network, the PC using chrome still will not forward the domain, and I get an error, but using the cell phone and chrome the domain is forwarded. 
There is something happening on the PC in the background that is not happening on the phone, that GODADDY domain forwarding is not happy with.  And that changes from day to day,

Super User III
Super User III

@hangingout 

Ok - 

So

1) it's not a cache issue (otherwise private window should have worked)

2) We know the URL you are trying to reach isn't blocked

This is very strange that it isn't forwarding correctly for you - but yet else where it is - right now everything I'm seeing says it is something local to your network hence the reason it works when you aren't on WIFI. 

I'm going to forward (offline) this thread to some folks - I am drawing a blank at this point as you've done all the trouble shooting things I can think of - what would be interesting to know / test further is if someone else local to you on the same ISP can get to it or not.... 

One other thing to try (and it shouldn't matter) is to restart your modem 

Re: My domain forwarding stops working on my PC but will still work on my phone/?isc=gdcommment

Yes, I have restarted the modem, and even changed my PC hookup to hardwired ethernet rather than wifi, and that didn't help.

Bob
View Bucktown & Wicker Park rentals at http://www.hangingout.net

Re: My domain forwarding stops working on my PC but will still work on my phone/?isc=gdcommment

Hi @hangingout,

All of the actions you've taken at @PL281's request point to a local issue with your ISP.

Both your forwarding URL and the destination, when entered, resolve for me on BOTH my PC and my Mac (unattached to the GoDaddy system), both using the same wifi, a personal provider. Both URLs also resolve on my iPhone using cellular service. When customers can't reach their website, we often advise trying another network in order to identify the ISP as the issue. @PL281 has had you do that, indicating that the ISP is involved in your failure to reach the forwarded website. 

It would be a good idea to run a Traceroute on your PC. A call to our customer support team can review that for you to identify the areas that are at issue. It would also provide you a tool in a call to your Internet Service Provider to have them look at the IPs being hit and making sure they have removed any obstacles, white-listing, if necessary. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

It is not the ISP, because I am using a different ISP, my cell phone provider, when I connect my PC to my cellular WIFI hotspot.  When I do that, meaning both the PC and the cell phone are connected to my cellular ISP only the cell phone forwards.

When I connect both my PC and my cell phone to the same house WIFI signal, same thing, the PC wont forward but the cellphone will. 

It is something inherent in a PC communication that the PC is doing differently than the cellphone that GoDaddy sometimes is unable to resolve.

Hi @hangingout,

You are correct; GoDaddy can't resolve any issue you may be experiencing with your personal PC. Browser settings, script update requirements, and personal computer settings are outside of GoDaddy's scope of support. If you'd like to provide Support the tools suggested (the traceroute), the customer support staff may be able to provide further insight as to your issue. It is not a common problem that has been reported for GoDaddy users and forwarding domains, so we are trying to help you here, to identify local solutions. The GoDaddy support team will also be able to validate your account and review the DNS for any actions that may need to be done there. To look at the problem from multiple angles.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

I know GoDaddy has been unable to solve it, but it is a GoDaddy issue, because it is not my PC but something inherent in a PC.

As can be seen in other threads this has been happening on other peoples domains, where a URL request from a PC doesn't forward, but the same request on a cellphone does, when both devices are connected to the exact same network.

So it is no MY PC that is the issue, but PC's in general.  And while you may not be able to see this problem, other people on PC's are experiencing this same problem.  

I understand that with an intermittent problem like this, that GoDaddy is unable to replicate is hard to or almost impossible to solve, but nonetheless is still a problem on GoDaddy's part and I and other users have to decide if we want to continue living with this problem, or just change domain providers.

PS: I am happy to provide a trace route if given directions on how create that screen shot.
PPS: there are a number of users on this thread that have had the same issue:

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Managing-Domains/My-domain-forwarding-stops-working-on-my-PC-but-w...