cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alp
Novice

New CNAME gives "The specified record already exists." but it isn't in the list

I just deleted an A record for 'parse-test', and then went to add a CNAME instead. But when I try to add the CNAME, the GoDaddy DNS Manager says "The specified record already exists."

I have waited several hours, but GoDaddy DNS Manager is still giving the same message, despite the old TTL being 1 hour.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks

7 REPLIES
Employee
Employee

Re: New CNAME gives "The specified record already exists." but it isn't in the list

Hi,
That seems pretty odd. I would talk with a support agent so they can take a further look. Hopefully this helps!
alp
Novice

Re: New CNAME gives "The specified record already exists." but it isn't in the list

It's now been over 24 hours since I deleted the A record and I still cannot create a CNAME to replace it. Seems like a bug to me.

@Kaitosailet's see what customer support have to say ...

alp
Novice

It's been nearly 60 hours since the A record was deleted, but the GoDaddy DNS management service still says it exists. What exactly happens when a record is 'deleted' via this interface?

goldenwater
Novice

I have the same issue. Any solution?

ettuswanie
Novice

I think what you're trying to do is what's called CNAME flattening. A lot of hosts don't allow this. You have to have an A record if you want to let GoDaddy manage your DNS.

Otherwise, another option is to use something like CloudFlare to manage your DNS:

https://www.cloudflare.com/dns/

It's free.

Technically, the term is called CNAME flattening and there are several advantages. First, if your host ever moves your domain to a new server, you'd have to update your A record. Not a big deal, but if you manage a lot of sites, it adds up and is a pain. Second, using CloudFlare for DNS management gives you another solid layer of DNS protection. That's probably the more important reason to do it.

Cheers.

wenclarence
Novice

Hi! 

I had the same error message and managed to get in touch with the live chat assistant.

Apparently, will just need to refresh the page to see the new record showing up in the list. 

CarlGWatts
Novice

I'm having this exact same problem yesterday and today.  I tried:

- refreshing the page

- logging out then logging back in to my godaddy.com account

- waiting several hours

but none of that helped.  It still won't let me Add a new CNAME record with the same name as the A record that I deleted yesterday!