cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Numerous Sales Calls After Last Domain Purchase

I purchased my latest domain last week. This week I have been getting a dozen calls a day, plus text messages and emails.

I have over 20 domains and only about 40% of them are private. Somehow, with this last domain purchase, the dam has burst.  Why is this all of sudden an issue? All of these callers are foreigners with American "names" that are spoofing US phone numbers all over the map.

It is 2:34 pm, eastern, and I have received 9 calls, 3 text messages and 8 emails, so far. This is day 4 of this garbage.

I am not happy with this, GoDaddy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Retired
Not applicable

@IAmWoody,

its as @justingodfrey has indicated. 

The main reason they don't spam the older domains is because they know from experience that the 'ripest' time to offer a site build (they are predominantly Wordpress users and you could do it yourself) is just after registering a domain. 

They also move on hoping to catch someone not very experienced. 

You have maybe heard of blacklisting, another anti spam method Is grey listing. This purposely doesn't allow the first email to reach you. This is because a genuine contact will try again to reach you a second time, spammers move on at no response usually. Same goes for domain spammers. Not perfect but it does work a lot of the time. There are much more clever ways to keep the spammers at bay........ a google search will reveal these. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Rockstar II

@IAmWoody wrote:

I purchased my latest domain last week. This week I have been getting a dozen calls a day, plus text messages and emails.

I have over 20 domains and only about 40% of them are private. Somehow, with this last domain purchase, the dam has burst.  Why is this all of sudden an issue? All of these callers are foreigners with American "names" that are spoofing US phone numbers all over the map.

It is 2:34 pm, eastern, and I have received 9 calls, 3 text messages and 8 emails, so far. This is day 4 of this garbage.

@IAmWoody It happens to me as well but its not really Godaddy's fault. Spammers have been ramping up their whois harvesting lately, its done automatically.

----

I was just wondering why no one was calling, texting and emailing, about older ones at the same time. There are actually 32 with the same contact phone number across 3 different companies. I purchased 2 of them the first of February and received no spam related to them, so wondered if GoDaddy had decided to sell the information.

Retired
Not applicable

@IAmWoody,

The main reason they don't spam the older domains is because they know from experience that the 'ripest' time to offer a site build (they are predominantly Wordpress users and you could do it yourself) is just after registering a domain. 

You have maybe heard of blacklisting, another anti spam method Is grey listing. This purposely doesn't allow the first email to reach you. This is because a genuine contact will try again to reach you a second time, spammers move on at no response usually. Same goes for domain spammers. Not perfect but it does work a lot of the time. There are much more clever ways to keep the spammers at bay........ a google search will reveal these. 

View solution in original post

Thanks for the information.

I use gmail for that domain's contact info and it has been doing a good job catching most of them. It caught 32 yesterday and 9 today. The big email push was Tuesday and Wednesday, with the phones picking up yesterday and today.

I feel better about it, now that I know that they have just gotten better at farming the information and not that GD has changed its policy.

I appreciate the help @justingodfrey and @Retired.

-Guy

@rammsteinium wrote:

@IAmWoody,

This is partly true... but then why does GD CHARGE for privacy settings to avoid those calls????

This just happened to me this week. I am being called on my CELL PHONE (yes I'm yelling), contacted by my private email, AND I am being text messaged. I AM LIVID. I would cancel my GoDaddy account but "they" already have my info.

@justingodfrey wrote:

@IAmWoody wrote:

@IAmWoody It happens to me as well but its not really Godaddy's fault. Spammers have been ramping up their whois harvesting lately, its done automatically.

----

so why does GD charge for privacy settings that would avoid that? isn't that ILLEGAL???

New

i have been buying domain names and hosting service from godaddy for over 10-years.

three days ago i bought a new domain name and i have since received:

• 17 unsolicited sales calls from web developers offering their services; these phone calls are coming florida, new york, india, california
  • 13 unsolicited text messages offering the same
  • 14 unsolicited email messages offering the same

i contacted godaddy via their live chat feature and was connected to JARED.

i told Jared that i was shocked and disappointed because as a 10-year customer this has never happened before.  and that i buy a lot of domain names.

he asked me if i “checked the privacy feature box” during checkout.

i told him that i must have overlooked that amongst all of the other offers that they make on my way to making my payment.

i let him know that i have never had to do that before and i never was bombarded with 3rd party sales pitches after all of my many previous purchases.

Jared told me that we could take care of it on the spot so i apologized for my rant and thanked him.

then that C#!% A#$ MOTHERF#@$%R asked me how i would like to “pay for the privacy feature”.

I TOLD THAT B@&#! TO GO TO HELL and stop doing mainstream TV advertising if they are so hurting for money that they need to sell my information to **bleep**heads from florida to india and everywhere in between.

GODADDY SUCKS A#$.

same thing happened to me, got 4 domains yesterday and was asked to pay £5 so that my personal details wouldn't be shared! I didn't pay, of course and sure enough, I was bombarded with unsolicited calls today! isn't that totally ILLEGAL?

will never use GD again, that's for sure.

Yeah, GODADDY SUCKS A#$. Same thing is happening to me. The EXACT SAME THING! And it took over 30 minutes to get support via Chat. And, the phone wait time was also around 30 minutes. I have stayed with GoDaddy for over 10 years, because of the great customer service. Well, that's no longer true. 

OMG! Your post was so funny...

Same here. I just reserved a domain. I'm up to 11 calls from various companies just today! I'm only half way through my day. How many more to come? I have the call logs to prove I'm not exaggerating. 

Another 5 phone calls this morning. It's 1:21pm I expect many more by the days end (this new comment added to my original post above, so I'm 16 calls in so far).

I'm done with Godaddy as well. Never again.