cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Office 365 cloud with direct email from internal host

Hello, I have a slight problem with DNS. I have a number of hosts that do not have the ability to login to office365 with a mailbox. The, apparent, solution is direct email to office 365. these hosts only email internal so this is possible.

This all works but all emails disappear in the span folders.

Apparent solution to update the SPF1 DNS record and add ipv4 IP addresses from the external static internet connection.

; TXT Records
@ 3600 IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ip4:yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy include:spf.protection.outlook.com ~all"

I have 2 gateways to the internet. Updated in godaddy management utility, Office365 does not get update.

What am I doing wrong or have I forgotten?

This is really bugging me, Thanks, Leen

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Office 365 cloud with direct email from internal host

Hi @lvangent. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It's hard to say what's happening in your situation. Sometimes DNS changes can take a while to spread across the internet (DNS propagation). That may be what you're encountering if you made the changes recently. However, I wouldn't expect a DNS record change to take more than 24 hours. If you've gone beyond that, then you may need to have the zone file for your domain checked to make sure there are no issues with it. You can reach out to our customer care team for assistance with that. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: Office 365 cloud with direct email from internal host/?isc=gdcommment

Hi JesseW,
Than you for your response. It turned out that the TXT SPF1 record had a space missing. I found this using the office 365 DNS checker.
That leaves me withone other question: sending emails to cloud office365 can be done in 3 ways; login to mailbox, Use of SPF1 TXT record and connectors.
I updated the TXT SPF1 record to include all our external, static, IP addresses but this does not show in office365 DNS check.
Are there more steps to take, I haven’t found this on the internet yet.

Leen

Leen van Gent
IT Superintendent

[ZMSC Logo]
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Office 365 cloud with direct email from internal host

@lvangent - Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking Man Embarassed I'm happy to try to help if you can try rephrasing your question. Thanks!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hello JesseW,
I have devices that cannot login to office365 directly; no option to add login username/password to login into mailbox.
To overcome this I want to use the feature for sending email (internal only), using the DNS TXT v=spf1 record.
For this I updated DNS for Office365 to include my external internet Firewalls (setup with NAT), in the “TXT v=spf1” record.
In Godaddy DNS website I can see the change on the TXT v=spf1 record, in Microsoft 365 admin center -> setup ->domains I cannot see the included IP4 IP addresses.
If I select “DNS management” -> “Update DNS settings” -> “I’ll add the DNS records myself”
That does not seem to work, I do not get the option to add/modify and DNS records.

Is ONLY updating GODADDY DNS sufficient for officd365 to accept emails without login to mailbox, without marking this a spam for internal emails only?

I’m asking this because some devices still do not send out emails using office 365. Something is still no correct.

Leen
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lvangent - Thanks for the additional details. This is the first time I've heard of someone doing this, so I had to do a bit of research. It sounds like you're trying to set up Direct Send as mentioned in this Microsoft article. Based on those instructions, it sounds like the only thing you'd need to do is change the DNS entry for your GoDaddy domain. As long as this is done correctly and you're pointing at the MX record mentioned in step 3 on the device, it seems like it should work. You'll want to make sure the record is formatted correctly. If you're confident you've updated things correctly according to the article above, then you can take a look at this article for troubleshooting Direct Send (also from Microsoft). Hope that helps.