cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point a subdomain to Amazon using CNAME

Hi There, I'm trying to setup a new subdomain on my site (www.gladcloud.mobi) named demo.gladcloud.mobi and then point that subdomain to a web app on AWS.

However,when I try to add a CNAME record, it will not accept demo as a name, or the amazon URL as the pointed to address, saying I need to use "@" or "sub-domain"

Has anyone managed to get this to work easily?

Thanks

Tony

5 REPLIES 5
Employee
Employee

Re: Point a subdomain to Amazon using CNAME

Hi @TonyB62

Thank you for your post. I ran a DNS check on that domain and found that you already have an "A" record pointed to an I.P. for the host name "demo".

In order to create the cname with the host name "demo" you will want to first remove the "A" record with the same name. Unfortunately an A record and cname cannot exist in the same zone together. 

If you check your zone and you do not see the A record "demo" go to the DNS menu at the top of the page and click Manage Zones. Search for demo.gladcloud.mobi, if you see it listed this means a zone file was created separately for that sub domain. Scroll to the bottom and click "remove dns hosting" to remove the separate zone. Then go back to the primary zone file and add the cname again. 

Hope this helps!

-TechFly

Hi Techfly,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have removed the A record but am now getting the error message "Enter either @ or a valid host name" when I enter the Amazon URL in the "points to" field ; it's really not clear how I associate demo.gladcloud.mobi with an external URL

Thanks

Tony

Employee
Employee

Hi @TonyB62

Thank you for the update and sorry for the delayed response (just got back from the weekend) . Any chance you could post the instructions from amazon so that I might try to duplicate this on my test domain. Afterwards I will post screenshots if the setup if able to set the records properly.

Best Wishes!

-TechFly

Hi there,

I ended up getting this issue fixed by calling GoDaddy phone support; apparently there is a bug in the DNS Manager which is why I was getting spurious messages about the AWS domain I was trying to point to. TechSupport manually added the CNAME record for me in the end

Cheers

Tony

Employee
Employee

HI @TonyB62

Thank you for the update. Good to hear that support was able to resolve the matter with the DNS record and the issues is now resolved. Feel free to post back if you have any other concerns.  

Best Wishes!

-TechFly