cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Preventing the Host IP address from being pinged or seen publicly?

Hey, I'm trying to self-host a Minecraft server and I want to prevent people from putting the public IP (ex. minecraftserver.net) into command prompt and getting the actual IP (ex. 10.0.0.1). Is there any way to do this? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@iUsethisWebsite 

Cloudflare is a caching service (which you can set to bypass) which masks the actual IP address of the server. So you would put in your public IP in CloudFlare but if someone did a DNS lookup or ping it would be hitting CloudFlare.

The port forwarding / etc is setup at your network level not the domain level

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User 2020

@iUsethisWebsite 

You would need to use a Proxy DNS service - perhaps CloudFlare - the biggest issue with self hosted is if you IP address ever changes

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

So using cloudflare i’ll be able to turn my REAL IP into an IP made by cloudflare, and use the cloudflare IP for the domain? And the CloudFlare IP will still be able to let people join a minecraft server? (Basically it needs to be port forwarded and open) Also, I can make the IP static so the changing isn’t an issue.

@iUsethisWebsite 

Cloudflare is a caching service (which you can set to bypass) which masks the actual IP address of the server. So you would put in your public IP in CloudFlare but if someone did a DNS lookup or ping it would be hitting CloudFlare.

The port forwarding / etc is setup at your network level not the domain level

View solution in original post

Sounds perfect. What area of Cloudflare would I use to achieve this? There's many on their website. Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

EDIT: I found what I was looking for on their site, thanks for the help! 🙂