cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
daven25
Accomplished

Price increases when ordering.

I type in a .com name and your site says "Buy it now price $10.25". Great.

I hit "Buy it now" and it is in my cart but it is 3 times the price, $30+. Not great. You may not have intended this to be a bait and switch but that is what it is.

It now says it is an expired auction but that doesn't explain my experience or why it is acceptable.

You advertise the sale price of $10.25. It should be $10.25.

39 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
Pro Community Founder Artisan

Re: Price increases when ordering.

I'm not sure @daven25 but it seems like you probably need to check your renewal length? Depending on circumstance that asterisk (*) can mean different things. Was it *price per year when selecting a five year term? Maybe it was *plus ICANN fee of $0.18 per year?

I'm my experience GoDaddy pricing is very straight forward and honest. You of course can expect those fees and taxes (depending on your location) to be added. Additionally after you put your domain in the cart the checkout wizard does guide you through the choices of adding additional products like privacy and email. If you don't take those additional products make sure that you don't opt into any of those additional products. 

Read the disclaimer. Pay attention to the term length. Don't opt in to any additional products. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

daven25
Accomplished

* appears to mean add 25c - nothing else cited re the single asterisk.

There is an auction flag and a learn more button under which we're told you have to join Godaddy Auctions for a fee to be able to even attempt to buy it. But this is in complete contradiction to the buy it now offer and the fact I can put it in my cart and apparently buy it, albeit at triple the advertised price.

Taxes and fees are $2.95. No term is listed so I presume its 1 year, or there isn't one because next to the price is "Auctions Expired Domain" to which there is no explanation attached and no other info. There is no renewal length.

daven25
Accomplished

I tried putting in a name from the list of expired domains under auction and you don't get a buy it now button with those, you get a bid button. So the name I was after is not one of those. Also I have checked it is not in the auctions list. The actual auction has expired I think is its status.

Yes, auction domain pricing and fees are different @daven25.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

daven25
Accomplished

That appears so, nevertheless whether the name I was after is currently part of an auction or not, the buy button price vs the in cart price is all screwed up.

daven25
Accomplished

So yeah now that they know I tried to get it they've renewed it (godaddy owns it till 2019 according to whois) and are saying they'll "try their best to get it for me" from the owner (actually them) for over $100 now. 

I don't think I need to tell godaddy where to go at this point. They offered it buy-it-now for $10.25, blocked me and now ask for 10 times that amount.

Doesn't matter if its an automated system doing it. It's still bait and switch.

daven25
Accomplished

It repeated the whole process today. Buy it now for $12.85 or so - told its available after clicking that, went through the option to the cart, its not in the cart, search again its now taken but hey, purchase our domain buy service for $101+ and maybe we'll get it for you. Oh and on top of this brokerage theres an additional "brokerage fee". Btw as I mentioned, the owner is Godaddy itself.

Emptied cart and it was available again, $12.85. I actually got it into my cart by selecting all the up-sell options on the way then deleting them in the cart. Looked like I could now purchase the name for $12.85. Entered card info and hit purchase. The name was removed from my cart because it was 'unavailable' - unavailable unless I purchase the $101 domain buy service.

Illegal yes?

I don't want to discount your experience @daven25 but I have NEVER seen anything like what you are describing? I wish I could look over your shoulder to get a better understanding of what is going on. 

daven25
Accomplished

Here you go. Edit of 2 screen grabs just now. Slight change to prior sequence. Available for $12.45 / click / Available but also unavailable. Option to go further by paying more not currently coming up but likely will again tomorrow when something resets.

Hopefully this demonstrates it really is as screwed up as I've been describing.

godaddy cant commit.jpg

daven25
Accomplished

Here you go. Edit of 2 screen grabs just now. Slight change to prior sequence. Available for $12.45 / click / Available but also unavailable. Option to go further by paying more not currently appearing but likely will again tomorrow when something resets.

Hopefully at least this demonstrates it really is as screwed up as I've been describing.

godaddy cant commit 2.jpeg

daven25
Accomplished

I'm collecting screengrabs, but currently it will not let me attach one to a message here.

daven25
Accomplished

It's basically as described, but I'm currently not getting permission to upload screen grabs.

daven25
Accomplished

Here you go. Edit of 2 screen grabs just now. Slight change to prior sequence. Available for $12.45 / click / Available but also unavailable. Option to go further by paying more not currently appearing but likely will again tomorrow when something resets.

Hopefully at least this demonstrates it really is as screwed up as I've been describing.

godaddy cant commit.jpg

daven25
Accomplished

Update:

godaddy now taken pay more.jpg

daven25
Accomplished

So are we just shooting the breeze here or does someone have a suggestion?

I actually can't see the images you posted. 

daven25
Accomplished

Yes I don't know why that happens. The images are replaced with triangular icons. The images displayed again for while. Now its icons again. Changing browsers doesn't help. Maybe look again later?

daven25
Accomplished

Is the issue that the domain you would like is taken? When you search the domain you would like do you get a message like Sorry, k#######.com is taken. Still want it? Here's what you do. The Domain Buy Service is not the same as you just buying a domain. The domain buy broker acts as a liaison and advocate in you domain purchasing process. Domain brokers are typically used when domains are already in use or otherwise unavailable for purchase through the virgin buy process. 

I have used the GoDaddy Domain Buy Service and found their brokers and process to be great. I will say that buying domains this way can get pricey quick but your broker should communicate and update with you about price and process each step of the way. Ultimately you have veto over the final purchase price negotiated by your assigned broker.

It doesn't appear that the domain has been available since 2016? Though GoDaddy is listed as the registrar it does not mean they actually own the domain but instead that were used to register the domain. Looks like this domain was purchased in January 2016 for two years and it recently expired? If that is the case perhaps it is in the redemption period? If the previous registered user does not redeem the domain it should return to the market for purchase. 

One thing is suggest is to use the GoDaddy Domain Backorder service because there is a bit of a set it and forget it process. You could of course keep checking daily, hourly, weekly... but having purchased my share of domains I find the best, most efficient way is to use automated services or a domain broker. I hope that helps? 

daven25
Accomplished

daven25
Accomplished

Apparently you have checked the registration of the name. How did you know what name I was looking at?

daven25
Accomplished

The issue was, on two occasions and maybe soon again, that a godaddy search told me I could have it for  around $12. You can see the falsely advertised starting price in the images I provided. On the first occasion the price jumped to around $35 when it went to my cart. On the second it just said no you can't have it now, but pay us $120 and we'll maybe get it for you at some unknown price ontop of that. 

You have a point in that I have misinterpreted the whois information. I don't know that they own it, the owner is hidden. So all I have at present to show their misbehaviour is a screen grab. Although as I mentioned in the OP, the name was designated as part of an expired auction when this process began. Does that not suggest it is in godaddy's possession?

I have sold, brokered and purchased literally thousands of domains. I find that one of the best times to sale a domain is while it still has some time under your control. A buyer might try and wait you out rather than purchase the domain from you if it will need to be renewed in a month. If there is still eighteen months before it is due to renew buyer urgency might give you a better chance for a sale. I often list domains for periods in between the first sixty days of the domain and the last sixty days of the domain.

I personally like to sometimes give the illusion that the domain might expire as sometimes you will see public backorders come in and that will identify your buyers. I tell you that because it is highly probable that the seller/registered owner could have indeed had it on auction at $12.95 and two days later at $35.95 or whatever you saw it at? They could have also pulled it for whatever reason they wanted to. The domain sell process is actually relatively free of commitments. Don't expect that if a domain is listed it must sell, this isn't a Barrett Jackson no reserve auction.

The real point is this does not appear to me as a GoDaddy issue. Actually perhaps these steps could be made more clear as to the process and the difference between buying a virgin domain, the domain auction and domain broker processes. Currently they all look the same maybe your observations will help to identify a better way going forward. Thank you for your input.

daven25
Accomplished

No it was not two days between price changes. It happened over a matter of seconds between searching and being told one price and then attempting to buy and being told another. Then when I did nothing for a week or so it reset itself to $12.85 so I could be baited once again. You seem to be dancing around the point i'm making because you are a godaddy employee, which is how you were able to see the name I was searching.

If you knew me @daven25 you would know that I don't dance. Additionally you'd know that I'm definitely not a GoDaddy employee. I don't think that in my interaction in this thread or any thread I come off as rude, dismissive or inconsiderate? I'm not here to cheer GoDaddy or defend them. Because I'm not paid directly by GoDaddy, I am free here and elsewhere to give my unfiltered opinion. If this was a venue where I felt GoDaddy was not allowing for opinions and experiences like yours I personally would not participate. I'm here because I believe in community and knowledge shared. I am happy to assist where I can. 

One thing of note is that I do resell GoDaddy products and I do so because I feel like many of their services and offerings provide a value add. I don't want to discount your experience but it is a bit confusing to me. I have never had that experience and I have purchased a lot of domains. Again, I'm not saying that it didn't happen to you but that has never happened to me. I don't see it as a GoDaddy trap is my point. 

I have even tried multiple times with the specific domain you noted and I just can't duplicate that issue. I don't know the domain because I'm GoDaddy employee by the way. I know it because you aren't the best at editing and I know how to read.

daven25
Accomplished

Touche - i can now see the instance I missed. I pressed the point when you did not respond the first time to my question about how you knew. I don't really understand why you don't see the offering of a price then changing it when I take the bait as a godaddy trap. All I can say is the screen grab is not a fake.

I'm not saying that the screen grab if fake. Seeing how you blocked out the screenshot I am more inclined to believe your story. I didn't initially see that message asking how I knew but I apologize for not addressing that earlier. I think those notifications came close to each other and I just went straight to the one under that?

You know what it probably is? I'm a bit jaded and I can probably check out a domain blindfolded? Consider that I have check out blindness. You know how you can do something that becomes regular? I've looked really hard but maybe I just need fresh eyes to catch what you did? Your freshness in this case is why I feel like your experience is of such value. If there is something wrong it should be fixed but it takes observations like yours to point these things out. 

daven25
Accomplished

Nice. Sadly for me we are unlikely to be going back in time to fix them reneging on their original offer.

GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor

@daven25 wrote:

Nice. Sadly for me we are unlikely to be going back in time to fix them reneging on their original offer.

@daven25 @rd Actually I believe what happened here is that there was an error between the central registry and Godaddy. One thing to note though, the domain name is in redemption and you may be able to purchase the domain name once it is deleted from the registry. The domain went into redemption on March 11th so it should go into "pending delete" around 30 days after that. I would recommend you purchase a backorder credit from Godaddy and use it to secure the domain once it becomes available since its already went through the expired auction process. 

Updated Date: 2018-03-11T08:06:39Z 
  Creation Date: 2016-01-28T19:34:23Z 
  Registry Expiry Date: 2018-01-28T19:34:23Z 
  Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC 
  Registrar IANA ID: 146 
  Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com 
  Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 480-624-2505 
  Domain Status: redemptionPeriod

You can purchase a backorder credit here: https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-backorder

This isn't a guarantee that you'll get the domain but you stand a good chance. The prices you're referring to have nothing to do with the seller since the domain name was already expired at that time.

---

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I
daven25
Accomplished

The backorder process looks like it's for someone desperate to get a name and is willing to pay Godaddy to intercede and sell or auction it to them for who knows what price. I'm not that person. I've already declined their price jumps. I'm someone who thinks they should get something for the price it was offered. If it was a technical error, responsibility can be taken and the error can be redressed, or not. If it was a retail store in my country the law would require that and 'we made a mistake' would not be an excuse. 

What could that practically mean in this case? Godaddy grabs the name for me without charging me service fee, offers it to me for the original price, and bears the costs. Yes I am dreaming, I am also a dog with a bone.

And and note to RD who may have edited a comment above. He is unable to reproduce the problem. So am I. It only happened the second time after I went away for a week or two then searched it again. The first time it happened it didn't say the name was taken pay us $120 to get it for you, its just appeared in my cart at triple the price, which I declined. You can see how the sequence of events has made me skeptical about a simple glitch being the explanation, though I accept that it may be.

I remember a couple of years ago when Google Domains mistakenly sold google.com for $12 Unlike your instance @daven25 that transaction was completed. The buyer started to get emails and had control of the domain before the issue was corrected. It was obvious to the buyer that a mistake was made. Actually not one mistake but several mistakes as there are supposed to be several gates to insure that something like selling a million dollar domain for peanuts doesn't happen.

Perhaps you found some bad code in one area that was somehow caught in another piece as that is the normal checkout process. I'd have a very different opinion of you had a receipt saying that you purchased the domain by the way. 

I have a different opinion of the domain backorder service. I have used it, it has worked for me and my clients, I have found it more than useful. One thing to note is that any domain is only worth what it is worth to the buyer. I've had people complain about a $12 but price and I've had people not blink at a $12,000 buy price. 

I try not to edit my comments beside correcting "their" to "there" or something like that so perhaps I did edit something but the core comment should be the same? As a customer I've just purchased too many domains and my experience with the GoDaddy has been upfront even if it hasn't always gone my way. I just lost a domain in the backorder process but I probably only get 35% of the domains I backorder. I have had domain broker experiences outside of GoDaddy that were a bit shady. I choose to use GoDaddy as my buffer.

I don't know how many domains you have but automation becomes almost essential at a point. I'm rooting for you to get this domain now! Seems like the backorder prices might be ideal for you. Good luck! 

daven25
Accomplished

Thanks for your support. 

A receipt? I didnt purchase anything. I did attempt to but the price changed when it went to the cart. Actually that happened a couple of times when i emptied the cart and tried again and I even called an operator on the phone to fix it and the same thing happened to him and he couldn’t tell me why other than that it was in an expired auction. Godaddy may well have some record of all that on its system but I don’t expect they’re going to let me have it. I suppose I could ask. Anyway I don’t get what you mean about a receipt or what your opinion is in that regard.

I mentioned an edit because I got a fresh email notification about a prior post and it contained something i hadn’t noticed before. Not a problem.

No the backorder prices probably aren’t good for me (and who knows what they are). I already explained I turned down the first price jump to $30+ from the original $10.25 on principle. I’m happy to go through the back order process if Godaddy will use it to get me the name for either $10.25 or $12.45 and they pay any additional costs to rectify their mistake instead of trying to get me to. That would resolve the questionable legality of what has happened. It’s probably not good for them to have someone on their website steer me more than once toward an option that involves me giving Godaddy more money.

With regard to the mention of a receipt I was just saying the same thing you said. You didn't buy anything. If your problem was "When I checked out in the cart total was $12.45  but I was charged $115.78 somehow?" that would be one thing. But you are saying "The price changed when I added it into the cart so I didn't buy it." I don't think you have a complaint? You aren't out any money. If your point was "GoDaddy sold me a domain that wasn't really available." I could even understand that. I just don't see how you were harmed in this scenario?

I mean I get what you are saying? Your scenario is "I found this loaf of bread and it says $1.49. To me that is the price because this one says $1.49 You have to sell it to me at the $1.49 price, I don't care what the price comes up at when you scanned it." Unfortunately for you domains aren't the same. 

In the best case scenario it was a glitch and you aren't out any money. In the worse case you didn't get the domain you wanted and again you are not out any money. I'm really on your side but I don't see that you have a right to demand anything? You should have probably just checked out at the higher price to secure the domain then complain about what you wee charged?

daven25
Accomplished

Why aren't they the same?

To say a bait and switch is only a bait and switch if you accept the switch and pay? You can have that opinion but I don't believe it's a sound argument. Either way it doesn't come down to philosophy, it comes down to what's legal as far as outcomes are concerned. Sure bread and domains are different but I don't see in what way their difference is pivotal in this case.

If it comes out that GoDaddy has code that does a bait and switch out of every hundred interactions then I will be on your side. What you are claiming just seems like bad code and not the GoDaddy policy or some scheme. I have often been the beneficiary of some checkout errors but I try not to generate any. If GoDaddy is doing something illegal there should no doubt be something done. I guess we just don't see this the same way? I really wish I could reproduce this. I feel like I'm doing something wrong since you say a GoDaddy representative reproduced it?

The scenario I gave and your situation aren't the same because the domain you are talking about doesn't look like it is available?

daven25
Accomplished

In one sense it is now not available but they claimed it was when all this began. On the other hand Godaddy is basically saying it's still available by saying I should bet $120+ that they can get it for me.

You’re likely wasting your time trying to reproduce it. In fact it might be best for me if you stop searching it as that might be tagging it as ‘in demand’. Sorry for the confusion about the event being reproducible. There's a lot of messages to keep track of now. There were two events separated by a week or two (I could retrieve the dates).

The first event was the $10.25 buy it now offer jumping to $30+ after clicking buy it now and sending it to the cart. I was able to get this to occur a few times by emptying the cart and searching again. I then tried going via phone so someone could see what happened and maybe explain. They did see but couldn't explain This is described in my first posts. At some point when I tried again it went to unavailable and wouldn't return to its buyable state. So I went away.

The second occurred whenI came back a week or two later and it was once again available to buy, this time at $12.95. after clicking buy it said it was unavailable on the same page it said it was also available (as u see in the screen grab). I tried clicking on the extras (privacy etc) to see if that was blocking me. Hey presto its in the cart (you can see how upsell had started to figure in my view of what was going on). Then I deleted the extras. It’s still in in the cart at $12.95! Finally! I enter card details and hit buy. It then said it was unavailable again. Since that event it has so far not reverted to the state of presenting a buy button when searched.

@daven25 wrote:

In one sense it is now not available but they claimed it was when all this began. On the other hand Godaddy is basically saying it's still available by saying I should bet $120+ that they can get it for me.

You’re likely wasting your time trying to reproduce it. In fact it might be best for me if you stop searching it as that might be tagging it as ‘in demand’. Sorry for the confusion about the event being reproducible. There's a lot of messages to keep track of now. There were two events separated by a week or two (I could retrieve the dates).

The first event was the $10.25 buy it now offer jumping to $30+ after clicking buy it now and sending it to the cart. I was able to get this to occur a few times by emptying the cart and searching again. I then tried going via phone so someone could see what happened and maybe explain. They did see but couldn't explain This is described in my first posts. At some point when I tried again it went to unavailable and wouldn't return to its buyable state. So I went away.

The second occurred whenI came back a week or two later and it was once again available to buy, this time at $12.95. after clicking buy it said it was unavailable on the same page it said it was also available (as u see in the screen grab). I tried clicking on the extras (privacy etc) to see if that was blocking me. Hey presto its in the cart (you can see how upsell had started to figure in my view of what was going on). Then I deleted the extras. It’s still in in the cart at $12.95! Finally! I enter card details and hit buy. It then said it was unavailable again. Since that event it has so far not reverted to the state of presenting a buy button when searched.

@daven25 I realize it can be frustrating but I'm not sure what the point of dragging this out is? The domain name is in redemtion period, it will not pop back up with a buy button until the domain name is deleted from the registry after the redemtion period and then the pending delete period. It can check it every single day and it won't become available until that time. Let's say a glitch happens again and it says available, its still not available. I believe it will be deleted mid-late April but there are tools out there that will help you calculate this. Also, its still not a guarantee that you'll get the domain because there are dozens of sites including Godaddy that offer backordering services that will snatch the domain as soon as its available.

----

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I
daven25
Accomplished

I’m not really dragging anything out. Nothing is actually happening, its just a discussion and I seem to have had difficulty making myself understood on some points, which leads to a lot of words. I’ve probably had the definitive conversation with the Godaddy support staff and been told, yes, the false offers were probably a technical glitch but they take no responsibility for wasting peoples time or switching prices on them (inadvertently or otherwise). I think thats worth reporting to consumer rights bodies. If Godaddy don’t wont to fix it with me they can defend it to them. Maybe there’s no case.

I appreciate the advice about the possible future of the name and I’ll keep any eye out. Naturally if I’ve declined to pay more than $12.85 for it I’m not expecting a guarantee I’ll ever get the name. The only entity that could make that happen is Godaddy, or so they’d have me believe, but they want me to pay them to make it happen. I think they should pay to fix it or take the consequences of making false offers. Sure, there may be none.

@daven25 wrote:

I’m not really dragging anything out. Nothing is actually happening, its just a discussion and I seem to have had difficulty making myself understood on some points, which leads to a lot of words. I’ve probably had the definitive conversation with the Godaddy support staff and been told, yes, the false offers were probably a technical glitch but they take no responsibility for wasting peoples time or switching prices on them (inadvertently or otherwise). I think thats worth reporting to consumer rights bodies. If Godaddy don’t wont to fix it with me they can defend it to them. Maybe there’s no case.

I appreciate the advice about the possible future of the name and I’ll keep any eye out. Naturally if I’ve declined to pay more than $12.85 for it I’m not expecting a guarantee I’ll ever get the name. The only entity that could make that happen is Godaddy, or so they’d have me believe, but they want me to pay them to make it happen. I think they should pay to fix it or take the consequences of making false offers. Sure, there may be none.

@daven25 My recommendation to you is to go into your domain manager at Godaddy and go to "backorders and monitoring" and add the domain name to monitoring (for free). You'll then receive an email from Godaddy once the domain name goes into pending delete status. Once it goes into pending delete status the domain name will be deleted 6 days after the "last updated" date around 2-3 pm Eastern time on that day. You'll then be able to registrar it through Godaddy for the regular price as long as its not "caught" by a backordering service.

---