Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, August 4th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
kaykay99
New

Redemption fee charged is 5x higher than it should be?

I tried to recover a .co.za domain but it was in the closed redemption period.  The local registry lists an amount of R200 (13 - 15 USD), but GoDaddy is charging $80.  After a series of chats with support, I was told that "Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .co.za extensions that represent Republic of South Africa." and that they were the ones charging the fee.

So I contacted Hexonet support and was told it's not them - GoDaddy set their own pricing.  See email below.

Anyone had recourse over the same/similar?

Ticket ID: 2021051008029951

Hello *****,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please note that we do not set Godaddy's prices, it is up to them to determine the price of their services based on their business model. Our partnership with them does not give us the ability to change their prices, please contact their customer support to express your position regarding the redemption fees that apply for "***.co.za".

We hope that you will be able to find a solution to your concerns and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Best regards,

Your Team @ Hexonet.net

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @kaykay99. Thanks for posting. The subject of redemption fees is one that comes up from time to time. While I can't offer a full explanation of how we set our prices, I can say that every registrar handles redemption a little differently. Some may charge less than GoDaddy, but others charge more. One thing to keep in mind is that most registries do not provide registration services and act more as a wholesale provider. Registrars handle registration and other administrative tasks for their customers. Just like there is some markup in price with wholesale goods, the same applies to domain registrations and associated fees. We do our best to balance customer experience vs. our costs and overhead. We constantly monitor these factors, and we keep a very close eye on how others in our industry handle these fees. 

Also, just so you're aware you can find where we specify what our domain redemption fees are here

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @kaykay99. Thanks for posting. The subject of redemption fees is one that comes up from time to time. While I can't offer a full explanation of how we set our prices, I can say that every registrar handles redemption a little differently. Some may charge less than GoDaddy, but others charge more. One thing to keep in mind is that most registries do not provide registration services and act more as a wholesale provider. Registrars handle registration and other administrative tasks for their customers. Just like there is some markup in price with wholesale goods, the same applies to domain registrations and associated fees. We do our best to balance customer experience vs. our costs and overhead. We constantly monitor these factors, and we keep a very close eye on how others in our industry handle these fees. 

Also, just so you're aware you can find where we specify what our domain redemption fees are here

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the reply @JesseW 

I've paid the fees, because I had no option, but remember that famous Hemingway quote: “How did you go bankrupt?"
Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”?  I'm not intending to win an argument or burn you guys here, but searching for redemption fees in this forum brings up numerous negative posts. Gradually, then suddenly.

Cheers