cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Redirect MX Record to Godaddy

Hi, I have a bunch of godaddy domains, hosting and email products. I have a domain at another registrar. I would like to point the mx record of the other domain to one of my go daddy domains/email products so I can setup multiple email accounts and receive emails via godaddy. Is that possible? How would I do that ? Where would I point the MX record?

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Redirect MX Record to Godaddy

Hi @babbahotep. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! That is definitely possible. You'll just need to make sure you use the right MX Records for the type of service you have. Also, you can't point to more than one email service for the same domain. You can only point your MX records to one service. If you can provide information on what kind of email plan you're using, others may be able to help you find the right MX records. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW,

thank you for the response.

I have these godaddy email services:

Free Account with hosting: xxx.com: US, 2/100 accounts used, 40 MB/100 MB used - Free Account

Free email addresses: US, 1/100 accounts used, 100 MB/100 MB used - Free Account

I have access to all nameserver settings at the other registrar.

thanks

babbahotep

Community Manager
Community Manager

@babbahotep If you are using GoDaddy Workspace Email, then you'll need to use the following MX records: 

• smtp.secureserver.net 
  • mailstore1.secureserver.net 

You may need to connect with your DNS provider to find out how to update these records. I hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW 
thank for keeping an eye on this one. So it seems the MX records to point to GoDaddy smtp.secureserver.net now.
When I try to send an email to mydomain it says recipient not found.
Would you know how do I fix this?

Using https://mxtoolbox.com I get this:

220 p3plibsmtpXXXXX.prod.XXXXX.secureserver.net bizsmtp ESMTP server ready
  Test Result
	SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch	OK - 68.000.213.000 resolves to p3plibsmtpXXXXX.prod.XXXXX.secureserver.net
	SMTP Valid Hostname	OK - Reverse DNS is a valid Hostname
	SMTP Banner Check	OK - Reverse DNS matches SMTP Banner
	SMTP TLS	OK - Supports TLS.
	SMTP Connection Time	0.734 seconds - Good on Connection time
	SMTP Open Relay	OK - Not an open relay.
	SMTP Transaction Time	2.797 seconds - Good on Transaction Time

220 p3plibsmtpXXXXX.prod.XXXXX.secureserver.net bizsmtp ESMTP server ready [656 ms]
EHLO keeper-us-east-1b.mxtoolbox.com
250-p3plibsmtpXXXXX.prod.XXXXX.secureserver.net hello [XXX.XX.244.91], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-SIZE 104857600
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 OK [656 ms]
MAIL FROM:<supertool@mxtoolbox.com>
250 2.1.0 <supertool@mxtoolbox.com> sender ok [688 ms]
RCPT TO:<test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com>
550 5.1.1 <test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com> Recipient not found. <http://x.co/irbounce> [672 ms]
Community Manager
Community Manager

@babbahotep I agree that this test seems to indicate you're using GoDaddy email services. However, it's not clear which MX records the domain is using based on the bounceback you provided. If you're still having trouble, I'd recommend sharing your domain or contacting our customer care team to see if they can help.

@JesseW 

Called twice, they did know what I was talking about. 

Solution

I would suggest that once the MX records point where there should, and some mailboxes are configured (2 out of a possible 100 seem to be). Then you should just test it by simply sending a normal email to one of the 2 email accounts and then checking for either receipt at the destination account, or a bounce message at the sending end.

With regards to your test output:

If you are testing to see if email works, at the level of if it can be delivered to a valid mailbox using mxtoolbox.com, then you need to send the test message to a pre-configured, valid mailbox on the GoDaddy service.

If you reread the SMTP transaction log that your posted, the recipient rejected is:

• RCPT TO:<test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com>

Unless your GoDaddy's domain name is mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com, test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com cannot be a mailbox that you have.

Hence, you got:

550 5.1.1 <test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com> Recipient not found

If you hid the mailbox for privacy reasons, by overwriting it with test@mxtoolboxsmtpdiag.com, then unfortunately the overwrite was not helpful to interpretation and diagnostics.

All the best!