cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS Diff IPs

I haven't found an exact answer or the appropriate help for this issue. I have my domain(s) with GoDaddy on ServerA and we have our own email server on ServerB. The domains and their respective websites reside on ServerA with IP addresses 96.8.112.178 and the email server is on ServerB with IP address 192.3.140.250. You can see that the email server has a completely different IP address than the domains and a different server. 

The warning we see are "Reverse DNS does not contain the hostname" and "Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname" when the MXToolbox is run for regsysinc.com. I can not change the PTR record. Is this something GoDaddy needs to do? The interface also does not let us change the SOA - its set to 600 and the RFC says it should be at 3600. Why are these records unavailable to the end-user?

These are the records we have now.

type: A     name:@   value:192.3.140.250

type: A     name:*.regsysinc.com   value:192.3.140.250

type: A     name:mail   value:96.8.112.178

type: MX  name:@   value:mail.regsysinc.com

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Reverse DNS Diff IPs

Hi @RegSysInc. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! The PTR record for an IP address is something that is set by the IP address provider. In this case, the IP you're pointing your MX record to is provided by a 3rd party. They would need to update the zone file for the IP (which is different than the zone file for your domain) in order for this information to be accurate. There is another thread about this here that might help. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

You bet! I actually contacted them after i posted this and i have access to the PTR record! I had no idea that they enabled that for the client. Fantastic! So i updated the record to point to mail.regsysinc.com, not regsysinc.com, as they had it. Viola! The warnings went away for rDNS. Now just to remove that darn SOA warning!! This is something on our ISP, not GoDaddy correct?

Nope this is on GoDaddy. GoDaddy does not seem to be compliant with the RFC standards.

Can you explain why it is like this, and why we have no control over it? I get it its your nameservers, but something better than outside of the RFC...