Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pjstarich
New

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME

Unknowingly, I purchased a domain from GoDaddy without the privacy option.  After dozens of telemarketing phone calls in the first 24 hours, I purchased the privacy option the following day.  The telemarketing calls are harassing and relentless.   Privacy should be the default, not an option available for purchase.  GoDaddy effectively holds its customers hostage by providing privacy as a for-fee option.  I am very unhappy with GoDaddy.  If the calls do not stop in the next few days, I will move my web hosting to another provider.  SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

1 REPLY 1
justingodfrey
Rockstar II

@Pjstarich wrote:

Unknowingly, I purchased a domain from GoDaddy without the privacy option.  After dozens of telemarketing phone calls in the first 24 hours, I purchased the privacy option the following day.  The telemarketing calls are harassing and relentless.   Privacy should be the default, not an option available for purchase.  GoDaddy effectively holds its customers hostage by providing privacy as a for-fee option.  I am very unhappy with GoDaddy.  If the calls do not stop in the next few days, I will move my web hosting to another provider.  SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

Hi @Pjstarich, most domain name registrars do not offer domain privacy for free. It is an add-on product and is usually available at a small fee. In fact, when you registrar a domain name Godaddy pitches the domain privacy to you for around $7.99 per year. I can only think of maybe 2 registrars that offer the service for free. If you wish to transfer your domain name to another registrar that offers the free service you'll have to wait for the 60 day transfer lock to expire (if you recently registered the domain). 

----