cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Seller Requesting 3 Specific Services in Domain Transfer, Help Needed!

I am in the process of acquiring a domain. Before doing so, the seller made a few requests that I don't know how to execute. The seller says it’s necessary to set up everything beforehand to avoid outages during which he won’t get emails and his customers won’t get updates:

1. Send DNS entries to him for us to use his domain immediately. He suggested that I tell him what DNS entries I need so he can set them up on his DNS server.  I was assuming that he wanted me to send him DNS entries, but after reviewing the notes, it seems like he wants us to send ours to him. Any guess why? What do you make of this?

2. Set current e-mail server to receive and forward. To do this, I believe I need to secure inboxes in my account. Purchase emails to create the transfer address. Then he can delete the email on his end to free it up. He would delete them on his end then we would recreate. Need to do a Personal Storage Table backup. It’s his responsibility to back up because it’s not a work space email. Does this sound correct?
  1. Put a single unchanging XML file on our webserver at the following URL ( https://www.johndoe.com/updates.xml). Seller has an application that calls home to check for updates. Seller updated the application to point to a different address, but older versions will continue to hit the domain he is providing to me. He sent the XML file for me to place on my server. How do I do this?

Additional Context: "johndoe.com" was previously registered at NetworkSolutions, not GoDaddy. He started the transfer process to GoDaddy. Then he’ll transfer it to my GoDaddy account (I think).

I can use any help possible. I'm happy to be more specific if need be. Please help, this is important to my work. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Seller Requesting 3 Specific Services in Domain Transfer, Help Needed!

HI @Alex320. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! I'll see if I can answer your questions. To start though, this situation sounds a little confused. Usually, if you're buying a domain, you are going to use it for your own purposes, so it's not clear why you'd need to configure it according to the seller's requests. 

Send DNS entries to him for us to use his domain immediately. He suggested that I tell him what DNS entries I need so he can set them up on his DNS server.  I was assuming that he wanted me to send him DNS entries, but after reviewing the notes, it seems like he wants us to send ours to him. Any guess why? What do you make of this?

This sounds like he wants to point the domain toward whatever hosting service you wish to use so that the site can be up prior to the transfer. It's hard to say more without understanding the specific way you intend to use the domain. 

Set current e-mail server to receive and forward. To do this, I believe I need to secure inboxes in my account. Purchase emails to create the transfer address. Then he can delete the email on his end to free it up. He would delete them on his end then we would recreate. Need to do a Personal Storage Table backup. It’s his responsibility to back up because it’s not a work space email. Does this sound correct?

Given the reference to Personal Storage Table (.PST file), I'd guess you intend to use something like Office 365. You would want to purchase and set up such an account so you can get the relevant DNS entries to provide him with. This article may help with that. You can use a .PST file to restore previous data once you have set up the account and integrate it with Outlook. 

Put a single unchanging XML file on our webserver at the following URL ( https://www.johndoe.com/updates.xml). Seller has an application that calls home to check for updates. Seller updated the application to point to a different address, but older versions will continue to hit the domain he is providing to me. He sent the XML file for me to place on my server. How do I do this?

This would depend on the type of hosting you have. Usually, you would just upload the file to your hosting plan. Keep in mind that this won't be possible if you use our Website Builder, since you can not access the account via FTP. Also worth noting is that the first step will need to take place (seller pointing the domain to your hosting DNS) before the file can be accessed. 

Additional Context: "johndoe.com" was previously registered at NetworkSolutions, not GoDaddy. He started the transfer process to GoDaddy. Then he’ll transfer it to my GoDaddy account (I think).

If the domain is not already transferred to GoDaddy, it would be better DNS wise to transfer it directly to your GoDaddy account. If you move a domain from one GoDaddy account to another, it's DNS records are wiped. If the transfer has already taken place, please make sure you back up your DNS records for the domain before making the switch. Hope this helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.