cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Server IP Address Cannot Be Found

Hi, friends—

Very recently, one of my urls began returning an error that the server's IP address could not be found; however, other urls on the same server are still resolving. Any ideas?

www.darinbradley.com

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
New

Server IP address Address Cannot Be Found

Hello! So I have just finished signing up with Godaddy. I have purchased a domain named mukappaphi.com. Now my question is, when ever I go to my domain name, Chrome says "mukappaphi.com’s server IP address could not be found." BUT when I type in the IP address 

166.62.10.184 it works fine. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?? I'm new to this stuff and I can't seem to find the right answer from google. Other answers have outdated instructions and I can't seem to find my way through them. Please help.

Re: Server IP Address Cannot Be Found

Hey @maniix,

I'm afraid the domain mukappaphi.com has not been registered for use when I look up WhoIs results. As of this writing, you can also see that it's still currently available for registration here

It's possible you purchased hosting services and then set it up for the domain name, but setup of hosting alone does not automatically register the domain. You'll need to purchase the domain name before it can be used with the hosting plan.

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Hi @quilllouse,

Thanks for posting. Did you recently change your DNS for the domain? That error indicates it is pointing to the wrong IP address, you will need to change your domain's A record to your hosting account's IP address. Hope that helps!

Lisi - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Hi, Lisi—

Thanks for replying. I haven't changed anything in quite some time. This just popped up out of the blue. I followed the link you shared, but my A listing doesn't offer a pen icon for editing, so I created a new one. Now there are two. Will one overwrite the other?

Solution

Hi @quilllouse

No, an extra A record will cause intermittent failures to find the site. If there is no "pen" icon for editing, we are guessing that you have a forward in place for the domain. Are you forwarding it to another, outside hosting plan? If not, you will need to cancel the forwarding command, which will allow you to have only the one IP address you need on the domain (to your hosting plan with us).  

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Thank you @TLH & @Lisi! Forwarding was on, so I deleted it, and this allowed me to delete the forwarding A record.