Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
BulldogX
New

Should I Add a TXT Record?

Should I add a TXT record to my domain on my own, or should I wait until I am asked to do it? If I add one on my own, why do you think it should say? ("This is one great domain!")

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BulldogX
New

I wish GoDaddy would contract native English speaking Guides for English community forums, so I wouldn't have needed to spend so much time researching this question on my own.

Two of the most important reasons to add a TXT record are:

1- to verify that you own the domain, since only the domain owner can add or update a TXT record; and
2- to add a Sender Policy Framework (SPF) record that tells the internet which email server(s) your domain uses to send mail. Receiving mail servers can check a message's sending address against the domain's SPF record, and if the two don't agree, the receiving mail server has the option to flag the message as spam.

To illustrate the first use case: a business service like Google Workspace or Office 365 for Business may ask you to add text they specify when you setup your account with the service. When the service sees that you’ve added their text string, they have confirmed that you are the owner of your domain. 

There's no point to adding a TXT record on your own, without being asked. The requesting service needs to see their text in your DNS record.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BulldogX
New

I wish GoDaddy would contract native English speaking Guides for English community forums, so I wouldn't have needed to spend so much time researching this question on my own.

Two of the most important reasons to add a TXT record are:

1- to verify that you own the domain, since only the domain owner can add or update a TXT record; and
2- to add a Sender Policy Framework (SPF) record that tells the internet which email server(s) your domain uses to send mail. Receiving mail servers can check a message's sending address against the domain's SPF record, and if the two don't agree, the receiving mail server has the option to flag the message as spam.

To illustrate the first use case: a business service like Google Workspace or Office 365 for Business may ask you to add text they specify when you setup your account with the service. When the service sees that you’ve added their text string, they have confirmed that you are the owner of your domain. 

There's no point to adding a TXT record on your own, without being asked. The requesting service needs to see their text in your DNS record.

View solution in original post