cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Strange Redirects On Safari for .app domain

Here is the jist of the problem..

i have a domain with the .app suffix. While using it on safari (to test connection and api endpoint availability), everytime I type in domain.app/endpoint, i am redirected to either a GoDaddy "Website coming soon" or to a parked Goddady page.

Whereas, if i type https://domain.app/enpoint (as in, actually manually type-in the https:// prefix), then the api works as intended and connects to my server.

I was previously encountering an SSL error with godaddy's supplied certificate, the classic "This Cert is not valid error", except that I noticed it was flagging the IP address that the domain points to, and not a domain-name mismatch with the SSL's values.

To address this, I removed the actual forwarding to the ip address, and left only the A record that points to my ip address. After saving, I noticed that the default gateway provided by google (since .app domains are owned by google) was gone, and that it had been replaced with a "Parked" CNAME. I removed that one, and everything seemed to revert to the scenario mentioned above. 

Things to consider: the server is hosted locally, not in the cloud, so no, CNAMES are not an option. 

I would prefer not to have to buy a new SSL cert for this since the domain comes with one. 

Yes, the certificate includes both domain.app and www.domain.app. 

The server does lie behind an NGINX proxy.

This does not occur in Chrome, Firefox, iOS URLNetwork tasks.. only in safari on both MacOS and iOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Strange Redirects On Safari for .app domain

Hi @murphman300. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! I'm not sure what is happening in this scenario but it kind of sounds like a DNS configuration issue. To make use of an SSL certificate, it should be installed on the server your domain is pointing to and you should have a redirect on that end that reroutes traffic to HTTPS from HTTP. If you can provide the domain, that may help others see the issue first hand and offer suggestions. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Solution

sRe: Strange Redirects On Safari for .app domain

Hi @JesseW

Indeed it was, turns out there was an added A Record that pointed to an unknown domain which I could not edit on my end.

A simple phone call to support did the trick! Many thanks!