cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Subdomain Forwarding Question

Our website is www.bvcurlingclub.com, which is a managed Wordpress site. We have a page with the address www.bvcurlingclub.com/ltc. We had a mistake in a flyer that showed the address as LTC.bvcurlingclub.com so I wanted to redirect LTC.bvcurlingclub.com to www.bvcurlingclub.com/ltc. I thought that I could do this through subdomain forwarding but I can't seem to get it to work. When I try to set up the subdomain, I think I need to create a CNAME record, but it's not clear to me what I should enter in the "Host" and "Points To" boxes in my scenario. Is it:

Host = LTC

Points To = LTC.bvcurlingclub.com

And then I set up subdomain forwarding for LTC.bvcurlingclub.com to go to www.bvcurlingclub.com/ltc?

Thanks, and sorry for being dense!

ETA: I did the above, and then when I refreshed the DNS Management, the CNAME record disappeared and there was a new A record with an IP address for LTC.

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: Subdomain Forwarding Question

Sounds good.  You don't need to edit the DNS as adding sub-domain forwarding should automatically make the appropriate record. 

Good to know. I chatted with 2 different Go Daddy agents to try to fix it. One told me I had the forwarding set up wrong because I just had "LTC" and it should be "LTC.bvcurlingclub.com" and then tried to sell me a $350 SSL plan to fix the issue. The other is the one who said I needed to edit the DNS. 

I have things set up as above and it's still not working. Visiting LTC.bvcurlingclub.com result in a timed out error.

Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

The forward is working for me.  The CNAME for ltc pointing to ltc.yourdomain.com would create an infinite loop.  If you accessed the domain at that time it could be in your local cache, you can try resetting your router/modem.

Fantastic. Thank you for checking! I just tried on another network and I can see that it's working. Phew!

dbuczek99-

Did you ever figure out why it was not working from your connection but was from others? Having the same problem. Works from my cell phone but any connections in our area seems to timeout. I can ping and traceroute to the Godaddy forwarding server and they say everything is okay at their end.

Highlighted

QwicDan, I never did figure out why it wasn't working from my home network. To be honest, I was too lazy to reset my router as Nate suggested, so once I discovered the forwarding was working fine on other networks, I just let it be. Sorry I can't help more!