cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subdomain relative path issue

Hi all!

I have the following problem.

I'm trying to create a subdomain and forward it to the IP address where my server is running and serving ghost blog. Everything works fine with forwarding without masking(or with masking, without a difference), except for the fact that redirect doesn't preserve the relative paths. As for example, I'm trying to reach blog.my-domain.com/ghost, but it renders only the main "/" page all the time. The same is with any other route when you click on something.

Is it the intended behavior, or there is a way to preserve paths while forwarding? I extremely need this feature, maybe you have any suggestions how to solve this out.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Subdomain relative path issue

Hi @SteFischer, thanks for posting.

Forwarding is a basic and inflexible option. It's not meant to preserve paths or be customization.

For what you are wanting to do, you should be able to point the subdomain directly to the IP address of your hosting service and connect it directly without using Forwarding.

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Ok, thx for the reply. I've contacted GoDaddy help service, and they basically said that it's the problem on their side for some reason.

Do you know how to "point the subdomain directly to the IP" using GoDaddy interface directly and not forwarding option?

And then, do you maybe know how to mask the IP address then, so there is subdomain showed instead of IP address?

Helper I

@GaryA wrote:

Forwarding is a basic and inflexible option. It's not meant to preserve paths or be customization. 

Godaddy must have changed something recently about subdomain forwarding.

Until few weeks ago, subdomain forwarding did preserve paths nicely.

Then at some point something changed, now if I add a path after the subdomain I get to a godaddy "URL shortener" page. Also, if I go to the https://shortener.godaddy.com/ and I click on the "choose domain" dropdown, there all the subdomain I forwared are offered as option for the URL shortener!!! What a mess.

It looks to me that godaddy changed how subdomain forwarding is implemented, tried to use the same platform as for their URL shortener service but something went wrong and needs to be fixed.

Speaking to a customer services representative, it took some convincing for them to check with their escalation point, but they acknowledged that not being able to preserve paths when forwarding is a bug on the godaddy side... developers working on it but no timelines for a fix.

I would be good if someone closer to godaddy on this forum could keep us updated on the issue.

Helper I

@GaryA wrote:

For what you are wanting to do, you should be able to point the subdomain directly to the IP address of your hosting service and connect it directly without using Forwarding. 

The main issue with this suggestion, for this to work, you must be able to configure the destination server to accept requests for your subdomain and to point to the proper path. When godaddy preserved path information while forwarding, there was no need whatsoever to configure the destination server, you could even point to a third party server that you had no control of and they would not even need to know about the forward.

I really hope godaddy restores the functionality of preserving the path when forwarding subdomain as they did till recently!