Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

TXT SPF needed with no MX record?

Hello all-

I did some research on this before posting, but didn't find anything exactly like this, so apologies if this has been asked/answered elsewhere.

We have Office 365 for our email and I have the "active" email domains in our Office 365 tenancy and that's working fine. We have multiple other domains that are variations on the main names or for various reasons aren't "active" email domains. To try and prevent blacklisting and spoofing, I have removed the MX records from those domains that shouldn't be sending email. (NOTE THESE DOMAINS ALL HAVE GODADDY AS THE REGISTRAR AND NAMESERVERS ARE GODADDY NS) My question is:

Do I need to have a TXT (SPF) record with those domains that aren't sending email, or is the removal of the MX record enough? Some Googling gives different answers, I wanted to get opinions from the GoDaddy community. I have been adding v=spf1 -all as this seems to be the syntax for no email at all, but is it necessary or will it cause issues?

Thanks to anyone who responds in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
oslinux
Helper V

I would recommend having an SPF Record even if you do not have any MX Records. The record you currently have tells any server that checks domains spf record that this domain does not send email and allow the receiver to mark the message as spam or delete the message and helps protect your domains email reputation.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
oslinux
Helper V

I would recommend having an SPF Record even if you do not have any MX Records. The record you currently have tells any server that checks domains spf record that this domain does not send email and allow the receiver to mark the message as spam or delete the message and helps protect your domains email reputation.

View solution in original post

Oslinux-

Thanks for the reply, this dovetails with what I had found, and I will add this record to my non email domains, then, and thanks for the explanation!