cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

The domain doesn't work without the 'www' what can I do?

The domain doesn't work without the 'www'.

I know I need to add a Cname or configure a A records, but don't know exactly what to do. Can someone explain it easily, step by step?

Unfortunately I already have added some Cname and A records and i'm afraid it messed the whole thing up.

Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19

Re: The domain doesn't work without the 'www' what can I do?

Additional information:
The host is Google Sites

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Google Sites uses a CNAME which can only be applied to a sub-domain.  A workaround is to assign www as the sub-domain and then forward yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com (301 redirect, no masking).

https://www.godaddy.com/help/forward-my-domain-12123?

Make sure to skip the "Related step" as you want the www CNAME to continue pointing to Google.

Hi, now both URLs are broken. I don't know how to proceed now. i think i messed too much up with the DNS and subdomains.

@Nate Thank you, 

I just forwarded mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com  and then forwarded 'www' to www.mydomain.com

How can I  assign www as the sub-domain? did i do that correctly?

Super User III

The domain was previously working on www, like I said you didn't want to change that part.  It should just be forwarding the root domain to www.  You do not want to forward www to itself as that creates an infinite loop that would never complete, so make sure to turn that off.

In the DNS there should be the CNAME for host www that points to Google.  If you have an A record for host www that points to an IP address, or a CNAME record for host www that points to @, it should be deleted.

If you're unsure about these changes post a screenshot of your DNS for advice before proceeding.

Keep

Type: CNAME

Host/name: www

Points to/value: ghs.googlehosted.com

Delete

Type: A

Points to/value: 50.63.202.1

Delete

Type: CNAME

Points to/value: @

dnss.jpg

Here the screenshot.

Between last week and today, following the recommendations in other posts  I have changed many things in the DNS.

Super User III

It appears you're missing a record for the bare domain.  If you use GoDaddy forwarding to redirect yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com this would need to point to their forwarding server.

Type: A record

Host/name: @

Points to/value: 50.63.202.1

dnsss.pngDone. Now it still says 'This website is temporarily unavailable, please try again later.' 

Super User III

The DNS looks good.  These types of changes usually take about an hour or two, but can take up to 48 hours.  Making multiple changes can get bogged down in the update cycle, but that should resolve itself within the time frame.

You can post a screenshot of your forwarding settings if you want to double-check them too.

forww.png

i didn't do anything in the forwards setting.

Now i add a subdomain and forwarded my website to www.website.

forww2.png

now in the dns record i see a new line:

A  mywebsite.ch  an IP address (not the same you gave me)

Super User III

That's not quite it.  Delete the forwarded subdomain, add it in right above as a forwarded domain.

'forww2.png'.png

After you get all of the setting correct just take a break and give it time to propagate.  It may not work instantly, but don't panic and start adding and removing stuff because that'll make it take even longer.  Unless advice is specific to your situation it is not going to help.

thanks. should I click on ' Update my nameservers and DNS settings to support this change'? 

Super User III

Yes.

Hi Nate!

The problem still persists. I see that the DNS record changed after I changed the forwarding. 

DNS1507.png

Super User III
Solution

The DNS looks good and it's working with www, but without www appears to be an infinite loop.  Make sure you're using the same settings as before, but it should be under Domain Forwarding for www.yourdomain.com (forward to with www).

'forww2.png'.png

Thanks a lot @Nate
Smiley Very Happy