cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Trailing period is cut off from cname value? Why?

I'm trying to verify a domain with AWS, and the method they have is cname record -- pretty standard stuff.

However, the value AWS gives me to enter into the CNAME has a trailing dot, which gets truncated when I save it with godaddy. As the result, the domain is never verified. I thought that trailing periods are allowed in CNAME values. Is it a godaddy's bug? Is there a way for me to enter a name exactly as it was given to me by AWS with trailing period?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Trailing period is cut off from cname value? Why?

Thanks for the detailed example @scientiamobile. I did reach out to our development team with this. I think a little clarification is in order. 

Some DNS providers allow two ways to enter such a record. The first (which is how our system is set up) is to enter just the host (left-hand record) you want to add for the CNAME, without including the rest of the domain. The second way is by adding a trailing period when entering the hostname and domain name. In some systems, this signals the end of the record and anything after is removed. However, ours does not function this way. 

We actually had our system set up to accept records the second way a while back. We changed it based on support contacts that were being generated by customers who weren't familiar with this method and found that their records were not working because they had included the dot, and thus the record ended without including the domain name. Our development team is now looking at this again to see if we can change it back to how it was before, which I believe is what you're looking for. For now, if you want to enter a CNAME record, the way to do it is to only include the left-hand record in the "host" field and not the rest of the domain name. 

Thanks again for taking the time to explain your concern and give your feedback. I will try to update once a decision has been made about whether or not we'll change the way records are created. But to be clear, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you don't include the domain name in the "host" field when creating a CNAME record. 

To clarify further, this is what I mean. If you want to create a record for abc.yourdomain.com, you would only enter "abc" in the Host field when creating the record. If you enter "abc.yourdomain.com." in the Host field this will result in a record that will only resolve at abc.com.yourdomain.com.yourdomain.com.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dmitryame. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! From what I understand, this is intentional but it usually doesn't cause an issue. If you have a specific example of when this is causing a problem, I'd recommend connecting with our customer care team so they can take a look at what options are available for you. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted

Edit: Manual solution: use email validation to bypass the technical bug. This works but you will have to manual renew the certificate (click on the link on a recurring basis).

---

Software engineer here. This "bug" is 100% a technical bug on Godaddy. I confirmed by opening the console and looking at the PUT request call. The trailing "." is sent to Godaddy to be saved but on response it is truncated.

Please escalate this issue directly to the engineering support team and follow up w/ an ETA for a fix in this forum. This is absolutely 100% a deal breaker.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @flamingo360 @dmitryame. To clarify, the trailing dot in the "points to" field is not displayed. However, when doing a DNS dig, it should be there for the CNAME. In other words, our system should add it automatically. If you have an example of where this isn't happening, feel free to share it and I can take a closer look. 

Highlighted

This is a bug and it is preventing me from using DNS validation in AWS Application load balancer in order to get an ssl certificate issued.

Highlighted

This is a definite bug and it stopped me getting a AWS Certificate issued with Domain Validation.

Godaddy should fix this.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @depeters and @lukejohnson. Thanks for posting. As I mentioned above, if you have specific examples you can share where this is happening, feel free to provide them. If we can identify an issue, I'd be happy to pass it on to our product team. However, from what I've seen, the trailing dots are there when the record is queried. 

Highlighted

Here is an example.

AWS_Certificate_Manager.png

As you can see, the name and value in AWS has a trailing period. In the GoDaddy console, the trailing period is dropped when you save it:

Domain_Manager.png

which makes it impossible for AWS to validate the domain using DNS and issue a SSL certificate.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jfaircloth. It's true that the trailing "." doesn't appear in the editor. However, if the record is created correctly and you query it in a dig tool, the "." should be there. I'd be happy to take a closer look if you can provide the CNAME and domain. 

Highlighted

I've checked manually and the trailing period isn't there.

CNAME_Lookup.png

There's also a thread full of people telling you it doesn't show up when AWS looks for it. Since AWS hosts so many popular sites on custom domains I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with the DNS provider and not with their hosting.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jfaircloth Hi. It's hard to say for sure, but the CNAME you entered looks fairly long. Is it possible you added your domain in the CNAME field? I know there have been other posts about this, but each time I've been able to look up the actual domain and record, the trailing dot is there. I would need to be able to reproduce the issue before I could bring it before our developers. Feel free to share the domain and CNAME with me via PM if you don't want to share it here. 

Highlighted

Please escalate this issue. 

I echo much of the same as those who have posted before me. 

GoDaddy does not support qualified records. This causes more confusion than supporting only qualified records. 

Left hand record: abcd (unqualified record) works as expected.

dig +noall +answer abcd.imageenginecdn.com
abcd.imageenginecdn.com. 3599 IN CNAME godaddy.com.
godaddy.com. 412 IN A 208.109.192.70

Left hand record: bcde.imageenginecdn.com. (qualified record) does not return value

dig +noall +answer bcde.imageenginecdn.com 

Left hand record: bcde.imageenginecdn.com. (qualified record) instead appends the $ORIGIN following the origin substitution rule. 

dig +noall +answer bcde.imageenginecdn.com.imageenginecdn.com
bcde.imageenginecdn.com.imageenginecdn.com. 3599 IN CNAME godaddy.com.
godaddy.com.		262	IN	A	208.109.192.70

But a qualified record should NEVER have the $ORIGIN applied to it. 

If this problem were only impacting me, I would be okay with this, but this is causing support requests from our customers who use AWS and GoDaddy

Thank you, and please escalate this issue

-Todd

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Thanks for the detailed example @scientiamobile. I did reach out to our development team with this. I think a little clarification is in order. 

Some DNS providers allow two ways to enter such a record. The first (which is how our system is set up) is to enter just the host (left-hand record) you want to add for the CNAME, without including the rest of the domain. The second way is by adding a trailing period when entering the hostname and domain name. In some systems, this signals the end of the record and anything after is removed. However, ours does not function this way. 

We actually had our system set up to accept records the second way a while back. We changed it based on support contacts that were being generated by customers who weren't familiar with this method and found that their records were not working because they had included the dot, and thus the record ended without including the domain name. Our development team is now looking at this again to see if we can change it back to how it was before, which I believe is what you're looking for. For now, if you want to enter a CNAME record, the way to do it is to only include the left-hand record in the "host" field and not the rest of the domain name. 

Thanks again for taking the time to explain your concern and give your feedback. I will try to update once a decision has been made about whether or not we'll change the way records are created. But to be clear, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you don't include the domain name in the "host" field when creating a CNAME record. 

To clarify further, this is what I mean. If you want to create a record for abc.yourdomain.com, you would only enter "abc" in the Host field when creating the record. If you enter "abc.yourdomain.com." in the Host field this will result in a record that will only resolve at abc.com.yourdomain.com.yourdomain.com.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

To clarify, I'm not looking for you to switch between supporting host (unqualified) only and FQDN (qualified) only, but to instead ADD support for the dot behavior. Which is to say, conform with the de facto standard DNS server (BIND). I've included a link to sum up what I had previously stated. http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apa/dot.html

To further clarify, this is not a matter of me performing one task or another as you would suggest, but instead the customers we share. As this has caused an undue support burden since the behavior of silently removing the dot without error alters what the customer has entered and by doing so breaks the record. 

Thank you again, 

-todd

The 

Highlighted

This is a case of use error. I can almost guarantee that the users here are copying-pasting the C-Name as-is from the AWS screens. This results in ".yourdomainname.com" being added to the end. This must be removed. Once you remove this and leave it to just the first portion, it will validate fine in AWS.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Everyone. I wanted to give an update on this. Our development team has updated the functionality of the DNS manager to work in the way that @scientiamobile mentioned. If you add a record that includes the domain with a trailing dot, it will create the record as intended. For example, if you want to create a CNAME for "testcname.mydomain.com", you can enter "testcname" or "testcname.mydomain.com." in the Host field and get the same result. However, if you include the domain name without the trailing dot, it will create a record like testcname.mydomain.com.mydomain.com as I mentioned above. Hopefully this makes things a little smoother for people attempting to enter a record in this way. 

DNS-cname trailing dot.gif