cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferred domain but cannot update nameservers

I'm taking over hosting and managing a domain for a friend.  The domain was previously registered with another registrar but I have successfully transferred it to GoDaddy.

If I go to manage DNS then I get the message "We can't display your DNS information because your nameservers aren't managed by us."

I am unable to change the nameservers, however.

I thought that transferring the domain to my GoDaddy account would give me control over it? 

Is this a situation where I have to wait for DNS propagation?  Why can't I control the domain?

7 REPLIES 7
Employee
Employee

Re: Transferred domain but cannot update nameservers

Hello @andybeak!

Thank you for posting. If the domain is within the account, you should be able to manage it's nameservers. If the domain's nameservers are pointing to another location, you'd need to first bring DNS back to us by changing the nameservers to standard or default ones. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the reply.  When I follow the instructions in the link you gave I am not able to change the nameservers.

There is no option to change the nameservers, as below:

Nameserver section does not have option to change them

Did you find a solution? i am facing the same problem

Super User III
Super User III

@andybeak 

Based on the screenshot you provided, there are probably two ways to go about this. Go to wherever the DNS is managed now and try to change the nameservers to default there or contact phone support/livechat for further help.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi @mkoveni

Welcome to the Community!

The previous screenshot from the other customer was for a .CO.ZA domain. That country-code domain requires specific nameserver actions that may not apply to your domain, or nameserver issue. You're welcome to include the domain here, so it can be viewed externally to see what might be the problem. If there is any Registry hold on the domain, you'll need to contact our support team to have it reset or reconciled. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

@TLH wrote:

Hi @mkoveni

Welcome to the Community!

The previous screenshot from the other customer was for a .CO.ZA domain. That country-code domain requires specific nameserver actions that may not apply to your domain, or nameserver issue. You're welcome to include the domain here, so it can be viewed externally to see what might be the problem. If there is any Registry hold on the domain, you'll need to contact our support team to have it reset or reconciled. 

My domain is iamrivalani.co.za

Solution

Thanks for the domain, @mkoveni!

When it comes to .CO.ZA domains and trying to update the nameservers, there are specific requirements needed for those nameservers. You can check out those requirements here. Once you try to update the nameservers, the registry then has to approve the changes and then create a new DNS zone file for the domain which can cause delays on getting them updated. Since I cannot see anything externally on this domain, I recommend reaching out to our live support where they can give you better guidance on your specific domain name. 

I hope this helps you in getting your domain working!

KristyW - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.