cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Trouble forwarding old domain to new domain

Hi,

I bought a domain name from Go Daddy and it worked fine but then I wanted to shorten the address and bought another domain, also from Go Daddy, and set the old one to forward to the new one.

This was done 9 days ago and it is still not working. All I get is a message saying 'This page cannot be displayed'.

I have contacted Go Daddy a few times and all they say is that it is working fine at their end which isn't much help to people trying to get on to my website. 

I even asked a friend in another area to try and get on there as she had never been into this website before and she wasn't able to either. 

Please can someone help??

The old domain name is londonpropertyservicesconstruction.co.uk and the new one is londonpropertyservices.co.uk

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Debbie

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Trouble forwarding old domain to new domain

Hi @Debs1. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! It looks like you may have already resolved this issue. I'm seeing the forwarding working as it should when I visit londonpropertyservicesconstruction.co.uk or www.londonpropertyservicesconstruction.co.uk. If you're still having trouble, you may want to try clearing your browser cache. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Hi Jesse

Thank you so much for your reply.

As suggested I cleared my cache following the link on your email but this has made no difference and when clicking on the old domain name it still says 'Page cannot be displayed' instead of taking me to the new domain and my website.

I have also tried my laptop, which I have never used for this website or searched for it, but again it wouldn't transfer to my website. I have even asked a friend, who doesn't live locally and never been on my website to try and again she gets the same message.

I've also used different search engines in case that made a difference but none of them work.

Please can someone help as I am worried that future customers may not get in contact if they cannot see the website... 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Debbie

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Debs1 - Strange. I tested it a few more times on a few devices and I'm still not seeing an error. One thing I would suggest is to double check the spelling of the domain you're entering. londonpropertyservicesconstruction.co.uk is quite a long domain and I myself entered it wrong the first time I tried typing it in another device. Could you provide a screenshot of the error, including what appears in the address bar? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Thanks JesseW for your reply.

As requested I have attached a snapshot of the error message I and other people receive when we click on the original domain.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

DebbieError Message.jpg

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@Debs1. OK. I see the issue now. Our forwarding service does not accept HTTPS requests. If you try entering http://londonpropertyservicesconstruction.co.uk, the forwarding should work. Typically, the error that comes up for this situation is a warning about the site being private. However, your ISP may handle situations like this differently and that's why you're seeing the "can't be displayed" error. 

If you need to account for people visiting the HTTPS version of your old domain, then you wouldn't be able to use our free forwarding service. You may be able to find another free provider that offers this, but typically a domain needs to be secured by an SSL Certificate before it can use HTTPS. 

New

Thank you for explaining this to me JesseW.

I just wish that when I had originally called Go Daddy and asked about buying a new domain and domain forwarding it had been explained to me at the time that it may not work...I was assured it would!

Also over the last two weeks when I have been constantly told it was working fine that they had not taken the trouble to look into it further, as you did, as this could have been clarified much quicker.

Thank you again for your time.

Debbie