cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Tumblr connection

I know this has been done to death but despite following instructions to the letter and following instructions from lits of community threads I still cannot connect my domain to tumblr. When I click on test it says all good but then when I save it says "something went wrong" and I do not know what to do next.
I should add I could not connect to my behance site with another godaddy domain either so I'm at the point of giving up on the whole thing. Two years ago I managed to connect to another tumblr blog easily so I am utterly baffled this time. Thanks in advance but please don't redirect me to the standard spiels about connecting to tumblr as I've tried them all
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution

Re: Tumblr connection

This is Tumblr response

Kat (tumblr)

Dec 2, 12:28 PM EST

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble configuring your domain.

I was able to add it for you from my end:
http://filmisadelight.com/

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Best,

Kat

So sorted, I had done all the right things to start with!

Thanks for your help, Mark

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted

Tumblr

I've tried for days now to connect Godaddy domain wit my Tumblr blog, from the help section I read there's supposed to be a part that says "launch" which I can't find and the DNS settings seems not to be working and each time I try using the custom domain on my Tumblr blog, it always says "looks good" but it would say I need to point the domain name registration to Tumblr ip address which I've already done. What should I do?
Highlighted
Resolver VI
Resolver VI

Re: Tumblr

Hello 

1. Log in to the Go Daddy account manager and click "Launch" next to "Domains."
  2. Click the domain name you want to link to your Tumblr blog and click "Launch" in the "DNS Manager" section.
  3. Navigate to the Zone File Editor for the domain name you want to link to your Tumblr blog.
  4. Click "Add New Record" to open the "Add DNS Record" window.
  5. Determine whether you want to link your domain name as a whole or a sub-domain, such as "blog.yourdomain.com." If you want to link your domain name as a whole, select "A (Host)" from the "Record Type" list; if you want to link a sub-domain, select "CNAME (Alias)."
  6. Enter "@" in the "Host Name" field and "66.6.44.4" in the "Points to IP Address" field if you are linking your domain name as a whole. Enter your desired sub-domain in the "Enter an Alias Name" field and "domains.tumblr.com" in the "Points to Host Name" field if you are linking a sub-domain. Leave the "TTL" field set at the default value. Click "OK."
  7. Click "Save Zone File" and click "OK."
  8. Log in to your Tumblr account, click the "Settings" icon on your dashboard and select the blog to which you want to link the domain from the list.
  9. Click the check box labeled "Use a custom domain name" and enter your domain in the text box that appears.
  10. Click "Test your domain." If the test finds any errors, correct them and click "Test your domain" again, repeating the process until no more errors are found. Contact Go Daddy support for help if you are unable to solve the issues yourself.
  11. Click "Save."

I hope this will help you.

Zulfiqar Anees | Founder/CEO at FastTech Media, TechMag, and ZulWeb | GoDaddy Pro.
Highlighted

It doesn't work.
Highlighted

I also tried this and the response given above simply does not work. I am at the point of just cancellinf my domain after paying for 3 years and after following instructions to the letter cannot connect to either my behance site or my tumblr blog. The test says all good and upon saving just goes "something went wrong" and thats it. Trying to direct to behance was much worse.
Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

What is the domain name?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Otsphotos 

What is your domain name so I can see the DNS?

Also can you post a screen capture of the tumbler settings screen just so I can see that as well

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted

Domain name is filmisadelight.com
Can't get near my computer until tomorrow to send a screenshot, sending this from my phone.
Thanks, Mark
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Otsphotos 

1) http://filmisadelight.com/ is forwarding to tumblr

2) Based on this - the issue is not with the DNS but with something in tumblr - when you can send the screen shot of the settings hopefully I'll be able to see what the issue might be

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Highlighted

Hi @Otsphotos and @Thisishiphophq,

Welcome to the Community!

I've merged these two pots as both appear to have the same issue at Tumblr. Please review the answers above to see if they will help you in your setup at Tumblr, and on the DNS of the doamin.

While GoDaddy has no specific instructions for this 3rd-party website, you're welcome to review these instructions for the use of a custom domain with Tumblr. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support
Highlighted

Look I'm an old fart and frankly would not have a clue as to how to take a screenshot and send it to you!
It might seem unconventional but can I send you my tumblr log on and password for you to look at, I am not worried about security on a tumblr blog and can always change the password after this is resolved. Thanks Mark
Highlighted

Pl281
You asked to pm you but I cannot find how to do this, will try again later. I appreciate the offer of help
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Otsphotos 

Ok  - so Tumblr must have updated there system and not their documents

1) Goto https://dcc.godaddy.com/manage/filmisadelight.com/dns and change the host for the CNAME for www from @ to domains.tumblr.com

2) Goto https://www.tumblr.com/settings/blog/street-projects (I got here from the account menu in Tumblr (the person icon) and then click edit appearance

3) Click the pencil next to your username and select custom URL

4) Enter http://www.filmisadelight.com and click test domain and then Save

I have emailed Tumblr on your behalf as the url without the www should work, but they may have it setup that unless you are using something like blog.yourdomain.com it must have both with and without the www configured

Highlighted

Thank you for persevering with this issue. So do I need to follow the instructions in your last post or have you already done this.
I really don't know how your average person is meant to do this, godaddy make out it should be so simple.
I will wait on your correspondence with tumblr I guess.
Thanks again, Mark
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Otsphotos 

1) You should update the cname in your GoDaddy account.

2) The issue you are having is a Tumblr issue not a GoDaddy issue.

3) The email will come from Tumblr - I just sent it to support via your account

Highlighted

I can only edit the cname by removing the tumblr template. So is the template faulty?
It will not save the cname change, don't know why not.
Made the change to tumblr and it still won't save.
Sorry to say but we're getting nowhere.
Highlighted

I got rid of the template and was finally able to edit exactly as you said and saved it, now tumblr says the cname is not directed to tumblr, says 'This subdomain’s CNAME is not pointing to Tumblr. Please change the CNAME to: domains.tumblr.com'

Yet when I go back into godaddy this is what I have done!

Honestly I despair, maybe it would be easier to connect to my behance site, although I tried for a week and could not do this either.......

Highlighted

Just to be clear if I leave the tumblr template as set by godaddy tumblr test says all good but on saving says somethings gone wrong.
When I edit the cname in godaddy as you asked me to I get the message I quoted above, so no joy either way
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Otsphotos 

I didn't know there was a "template" for Tumblr - you should "have" to change the CNAME it was a guess. At this point you really need to work with Tumblr support as the domain on the GoDaddy side is setup correctly. 

Highlighted

Godaddy has a page with an icon foe every social media site, just click and its done they say....
I'm surprised you did not know that.
Ok so I'll wait on tumblr.
If it turns out to be impossible I'll be starting a new thread asking how to connect my behance site as there is no info on godaddy about that......
Thanks for trying I really appreciate it even if we got nowhere in the end.
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Otsphotos 

Given that I build full websites vs linking to a service like Tumblr I've never used that feature.

As I said earlier - your issue isn't with GoDaddy at this point - your domain is pointed to Tumblr correctly..... it's something in the tubmlr system not working and GoDaddy support wouldn't be able to fix that.

Highlighted

Please do not read what I said as criticism in any way, I very much appreciate you volunteering your time and expertise to help.
I am of course frustrated at trying to connect a domain to two different sites with zero success, I'm sure it should not be this hard.
If I ever get an answer off tumblr I will post it here for everyones information.
Thanks again, Mark
Highlighted
Solution

This is Tumblr response

Kat (tumblr)

Dec 2, 12:28 PM EST

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear that you've been having trouble configuring your domain.

I was able to add it for you from my end:
http://filmisadelight.com/

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Best,

Kat

So sorted, I had done all the right things to start with!

Thanks for your help, Mark

View solution in original post

Highlighted

this did not work for me when i head back to tumblr - This domain’s A-record is not pointing to Tumblr. You need to change your domain’s A-record to: 66.6.44.4 --  The a record in godaddy is definitely there, but also the original a record is there undeleteable - is this why it's pointing wrong. Any further help would be great thanks

Highlighted
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

@algi2001 

It sounds like an automatic connection wizard has been used on the domain previously, this would need to be removed so you can manually manage the DNS record.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/forward-my-domain-12123