Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
omarf
New

URL keeps going to GoDaddy after change to DNS

Hi, I recently bought a godaddy domain and decided to try out their website builder. It wasn't for me and I wanted to use github pages to host my website instead. However, even after unpublishing my godaddy website and changing my dns a records and cnames (using this website https://hackernoon.com/how-to-set-up-godaddy-domain-with-github-pages-a9300366c7b) my domain still redirects me to the godaddy website. Funny thing is, even my github pages url now redirects me to this website. How do I fix this?

Here are my DNS settings

dns records.png

My domain name is omarfarag.ca and my github domain is mrboogle.github.io. The IP addresses are public ones provided by github and the bottom 5 entries were provided by godaddy by default. I've waited for about an hour to see if it might take time to work but nothing. However if I decide to publish my godaddy website it takes about 2 minutes for the changes to take place.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TLH

Hi @omarf,

Welcome to the Community!

Publishing changes to your website is an entirely different action than updating your DNS. The first one is internal to GoDaddy, just updating your changes on the website server that the domain is already directed to. Changing the DNS on the domain requires a refresh to the DNS content globally. It's reported to the Registry and requires all ISPs around the globe to update their data. Some refresh more frequently than others. 

We're now seeing your domain direct to the GitHub website. It appears to show your site, under construction on their servers.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
omarf
New

I've also checked my files on the github side and github seems to be fine. The github url still takes me to the godaddy website though.

Screenshot_2021-01-13 MrBoogle MrBoogle github io.png

TLH

Hi @omarf,

Welcome to the Community!

Publishing changes to your website is an entirely different action than updating your DNS. The first one is internal to GoDaddy, just updating your changes on the website server that the domain is already directed to. Changing the DNS on the domain requires a refresh to the DNS content globally. It's reported to the Registry and requires all ISPs around the globe to update their data. Some refresh more frequently than others. 

We're now seeing your domain direct to the GitHub website. It appears to show your site, under construction on their servers.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post