Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Ultimatum received to change my whois record to my real name and address

Hi everyone,

I am the owner of a ".ch" (Switzerland) domain name that I bought a couple of months ago on GoDaddy. After some time, I activated the privacy option to show the DomainsByProxy contact instead of my real name and address.

More recently, I was contacted by SWITCH, the Swiss foundation managing the .ch and .li domain names giving me a 30 days period to identify myself because "no person or company exists at the address you have given", otherwise my domain will be revoked.

The email seems legit, with an associated phone number, etc.

The problem being, obviously, that I cannot prove the existence of "Domain By Proxy", the legal owner of the domain.

Support has not been very helpful for now. Does someone else have already been confronted to the same situation? Any advice? As it stands now, I will probably revoke my privacy settings in order to prevent any possible revocation. But I cannot help myself to think that this is some kind of abuse of power.

Thanks,

Jean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Ultimatum received to change my whois record to my real name and address

Hi @mhz42. SWITCH is the registry for .CH domains, so it's possible that the email is legitimate. However, without seeing the actual email or knowing where it came from, it would be difficult to say for sure. Domains By Proxy, which they should be able to recognize as a legitimate organization. One thing to consider is if you have the privacy set up to forward emails. That would be how they can verify your contact information as valid. Hope you're able to figure this out. Please update with how things turn out. Others could benefit from your experience. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @mhz42. SWITCH is the registry for .CH domains, so it's possible that the email is legitimate. However, without seeing the actual email or knowing where it came from, it would be difficult to say for sure. Domains By Proxy, which they should be able to recognize as a legitimate organization. One thing to consider is if you have the privacy set up to forward emails. That would be how they can verify your contact information as valid. Hope you're able to figure this out. Please update with how things turn out. Others could benefit from your experience. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New

Thank you Jesse for your insight.

I realize now that I know very little on how whois, and more generally the domain name registration system actually works. I though that only GoDaddy would be able to revoke my domain.

Mail forwarding was enabled (this is actually how they contacted me in the first place). So, this was apparently not enough to verify my contact information. I asked them why DomainsByProxy was not recognized as a valid company, they did not respond. However, they had already "locked" my Whois registration preventively. They agreed to unlock it when I said that I would comply with their request.

I disabled the privacy setting on all my .ch domains. Luckily, Switch is apparently only showing my first/last name and postal address in the Whois listing, not my email.

I paste here below their original mail for future reference (without the related email address / phone numbers)

Thanks again

Dear Sir or Madam,

SWITCH is the registry for .ch and .li domain names. Our investigations have shown that no person or company exists at the address you have given and based on the Ordinance on Internet Domains (OID), we demand you to identify yourself.

We would ask you to send us proof of your identity within 30 days (date of receipt by SWITCH), i.e. to inform us which private person or legal entity is behind the contact details and to prove this by means of a certificate of domicile or an extract from the companies??? register.

If we do not receive proof of the identity of the holder of domain name from you within the set deadline, we will delete the domain name.

If the holder???s identity cannot be established without a major outlay, SWITCH is entitled to revoke the domain name in question (Paragraph 2.5 GTC).

We expressly draw your attention to the fact that the holder of a domain name is required to hold SWITCH fully harmless from claims of third parties asserted against SWITCH on account of a violation of their rights.

Thanking you for your cooperation.

Kind regards,
SWITCH Legal