cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justingodfrey
Rockstar II

Upcoming changes to domain name renewals

Just a heads up, Godaddy will be making changes to the way you're able to renew domain names starting December 4th. I have pasted the email from them below. The most important part being that you will no longer be able to renew/transfer out a domain name after the 30th of expiration, this used to be 42 days.

We are making a change to our domain name expiry process and wanted to give you enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio. GoDaddy is changing the domain renewal timeline from 42 to 30 days for most domains. Based on our research, less than 1% of our customers renew after 30 days.

Starting Dec 4, the following changes will happen to expired domain names: 
• After Day 5 of expiration, DNS, email, hosting, redirecting and any other DNS-dependent services will be interrupted and stop working. 
• After Day 30 of expiration, domain names are no longer able to be renewed or transferred away.
1 REPLY 1
DocTony
Helper IV

It makes sense. There is no reason for them to hold up domains if someone is not going to renew them (and they have no way to call the millions of customers to ask if they really want to let their domain expire).

If someone has a domain they really want, they will renew it ahead of time and/or keep it on auto renew. Sadly, there are those who still don't understand how critical it is to log in to their account and make sure their email is up to date (to get notifications) and make sure there credit card info is up to date for auto billing charges. I saw this so much when I worked for GoDaddy and it's truly mind blowing. It's the least expensive business asset, yet people treat them to carelessly in many cases.