cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Use as Alias after selling domain name

After purchasing a second domain with email, I plan on cancelling the first domain; but use it as an alias to forward its url search to the second domain. Can I sell the first domain name rather than just cancelling; and still use it as an alias?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User III

Cancelling a domain generally means it would no longer be yours.  You can keep the domain but remove it from hosting, this is done by changing the primary domain.  Then you can point it somewhere else or transfer to a buyer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III

Cancelling a domain generally means it would no longer be yours.  You can keep the domain but remove it from hosting, this is done by changing the primary domain.  Then you can point it somewhere else or transfer to a buyer.

View solution in original post

so if I want searches of the first domain, to bring up my second domain; sounds like I need to keep the domain by continuing to pay GoDaddy.  That would not allow me to sell the domain name.  Too bad, it's estimated value is reported to be $1,000.  Thanks v much Nate!

Some do choose to keep their old domain indefinitely.  At a  minimum I would say make sure to 301 redirect it to the new domain long enough for search engines and visitors to catch on to the new domain.

thanks!