cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Want to build a website using a goDaddy subdomain with hostgator hosting

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, so I hope you can bear with me if I'm asking silly questions. I've had a look around and can't seem to find an answer to my issue (or perhaps I don't understand the technical side of things enough to pick out a suitable thread).

I'm working on a website redesign for a client. We already have a temporary squarespace landing page up for the primary domain, and now I want to create a 'test' subdomain to do the actual build on. I want the new website to be hosted on hostgator, and because I'm more of a designer then a developer I've bought a wordpress template to which I intend to use. My intention is to build the website on the subdomain, then switch it over the the primary domain when it is complete and get rid of the squarespace account.

The thing I seem to be having an issue with is correctly setting up the subdomain. Initially, I set it up as a subdomain forward. Then I set up my hostgator account and linked it together. I thought this was working because when I navigated to the subdomain in my browser I saw a hostgater 404 page. However I've since tried to install wordpress and have been unable to access to page to log in due to a dns error. After a chat to hostgator support, they indicated that it was an issue with my A name, and had something to do with the way I was redirecting to an IP.

At this point I'm a little confused as to whether or not I should be using the forwarding? What I've subsequently done is to go to the dns manager and delete the subdomain forward, then I've edited the A record (for the subdomain) so that it now has the hostgater IP address I want to link to where it previously said "Forwarding" (note that I previously had this same IP address entered into the forwarding address section before I decided to delete it). I'm currently waiting for this to propagate to see if it works. But thought I might come here in the meantime to understand if that was the correct thing to do? I'm a little confused about creating a subdomain vs forwarding a subdomain and I'm generally trying to understand the best process for my particular project. If someone could help with some insight on this I'd be super greatful!

Thanks in advance!!

3 REPLIES 3
Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

Re: Want to build a website using a goDaddy subdomain with hostgator hosting

Hi @shell_eee, welcome to the community.

The main difference is that if you forward a subdomain, it will: a) do a redirect. b) embed the destination page inside a frame.

If you set it with an A record, pointing to your hosting IP address, there's no redirection needed.

From what you said, it should be OK. However, make sure to use your subdomain in your hostgator account. For example, when installing wordpress you should use sub.domain.com.

You should check that you have, added the domain to your hostgator account, so it "knows" that it has that domain.

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo Smiley Happy
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution Smiley Very Happy

Thank you @jpablo

It seems to be working! Smiley Happy

Helper VI
Helper VI

Hi @shell_eee, I'm glad to hear that! Smiley Happy

Happy to help!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo Smiley Happy