Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
DraastiK
New

Wanting to point 2 domains to the same server. 2nd domain was purchased by a friend using NameBright

Ok so this one may seem a bit confusing so bare with me while I do my best to simplify this.

The website and domain name I have been using  has been up and running for a few years and it's great. No problems. However, there was another domain that I wanted, but was unavailable when I was originally setting up my website.The domain has since become available, and my friend purchased it through NameBright. He currently has the domain hosted on a GoDaddy server.

My question is, what is the best solution to have both domains pointing to the same host? Is this more of a pain since the other domain I want is owned by a friend?

If that was too confusing, I'll try to simplify it

- I own domain A with host

- Friend owns domain B with host

- We would like to point domains A and B to the same host (Domain A's host)

- After that, we would like domain B to be the primary domain. Meaning if they type domain A's name, it'll change to domain B in the address bar.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have to be a bit careful here.

If you're using a CMS like WordPress, you can hack up the wp-config.php file + hack your Apache config to shoehorn this into working + the net result will be disaster, as you'll have two sites mucking about with one database.

Also, in this case the second site will be flagged with a duplicate content penalty for every page, which will promote page penalties to a site wide penalty, so your 2nd site will be pruned from Google's index... forever... Very hard to come back from this.

So your idea... is fine for some random hobby site + incorrect for money sites.

The correct way to do this is as follows.

1) Make a backup of site A, using Duplicator or BackupBuddy or whatever you use.

2) Nuke site A back to bare directory. Delete the database. Delete all the files.

What you're looking for is site A serving an empty directory, so all content is gone.

3) Now setup site B to serve an empty directory.

4) Once site B serves an empty directory, create a new database + upload your Duplicator (or whatever) installer + archive files into this empty directory.

5) Restore the Duplicator backup, which will automagickally rewrite all site A URLs to site B URLs during restore process.

6) Once site B is working, then setup a domain level 301 redirect from Site A to Site B.

This will avoid any database corruption + SEO penalties.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @DraastiK,

Sooooooo...............

You have Domain:

A and you want B to direct to it, but you don't want A in the address bar, but B....

Easy, just forward B to A with masking!

but.... ( and it's a biggie) you can't then have visitors type in A in the address bar and have it change to B because at B there is only a domain, NO HOSTED SITE! 

Sooooooo........... Then you would need carbon copies of your site and THAT WOULD be a pain......

Hence Godaddy are one step ahead here, TEST your friendship and see if your FRIEND will sell you the domain at 'friends' rates. It is time your friendship was put to the test!!

There is NO easy way to change hands with a domain just by DNS settings alone, and those cheapskates who try, always end up back here on the forum, guaranteed!

<takes a bow and crowd throw roses>

https://www.godaddy.pro/AngelHall-Coulston  aka @rammsteinium

Edit: @davidfavor,

As I said, problems are never far away from trying to avoid the correct approach.

You have to be a bit careful here.

If you're using a CMS like WordPress, you can hack up the wp-config.php file + hack your Apache config to shoehorn this into working + the net result will be disaster, as you'll have two sites mucking about with one database.

Also, in this case the second site will be flagged with a duplicate content penalty for every page, which will promote page penalties to a site wide penalty, so your 2nd site will be pruned from Google's index... forever... Very hard to come back from this.

So your idea... is fine for some random hobby site + incorrect for money sites.

The correct way to do this is as follows.

1) Make a backup of site A, using Duplicator or BackupBuddy or whatever you use.

2) Nuke site A back to bare directory. Delete the database. Delete all the files.

What you're looking for is site A serving an empty directory, so all content is gone.

3) Now setup site B to serve an empty directory.

4) Once site B serves an empty directory, create a new database + upload your Duplicator (or whatever) installer + archive files into this empty directory.

5) Restore the Duplicator backup, which will automagickally rewrite all site A URLs to site B URLs during restore process.

6) Once site B is working, then setup a domain level 301 redirect from Site A to Site B.

This will avoid any database corruption + SEO penalties.

View solution in original post