cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

What is locking a domain name and how much does it cost at Godaddy ?

Spoiler
Hi all. Thanks for helping. Was wondering when i pay for a domain name, is it not natural to expect that i will not be stolen, transfered to another registrar or another account ??? Why do i have to pay furthurmore to get my domain preserved with the same people i just bought it ? Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Super User I
Super User I
Solution

Re: What is locking a domain name and how much does it cost at Godaddy ?

@jmord wrote:
Spoiler
Hi all. Thanks for helping. Was wondering when i pay for a domain name, is it not natural to expect that i will not be stolen, transfered to another registrar or another account ??? Why do i have to pay furthurmore to get my domain preserved with the same people i just bought it ? Thanks.

@jmord Not really sure what you mean. Domain locking is a way to prevent the unlawful transfer of the domain name to another registrar. Godaddy does not charge you to "lock" your domains, domains are locked by default. If you were to want to transfer the domain name to another registrar you would unlock the domain and then get the authorization code and provide that code to the new registrar. Where do you see that Godaddy charges to "lock" it?

---

Save money on Godaddy products and get a .com domain for under $1: http://bit.ly/2E7MV0I
New

Re: What is locking a domain name and how much does it cost at Godaddy ?

Hi justingodfrey, thanks for this reply.

Yes, i was first wondering what this option could bring and why would i have do opt for it. Preventing from any unlawful transfer of domain names i buy appears self-evident to me. I mean this should come by itself with any purchase of domain name (or anything elese). Why would i make anything to make sure the service i get wont be interrupt in any way, stolen or damaged ? If i rent a house, i do not have to do anything else to make sure anybody won't change the locks and begin to live there...To make sure my neighbour won't write down my address on his house...  Or maybe i missed someting.

So as far as i can see on my bills, and as you just wrote, this lock option is actually free... for private domaine use. It seems that for anything else (which appears to fall in commercial use), the option will be free this year and $14,92/year nest years... Isn't it ? (Pasted below, from cart...). As far as i can see, people who wont regulary look at their bills details will pay fees for years for options they haven't opted first...

Another question would be : I checked 10 of my domains on the form (to opt for locked option). How come, on the page i get when i click "Continue to checkout", i'm present me with only 4 of those ? 6 others were not relevant for this option ? What happened ?

Thanks to you.
Salutations.

Private Domain Registration xxxxxxxxxxxx.com

C$0.00
0.904 years

C$0.00

0.997 years

C$0.00

1.005 years Renews at C$14,92/yr