cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

What's the purpose of changing nameservers on your domain you purchase from GoDaddy

Lets say you create a website using Builderall, Wix, Weebly, etc. and you purchased a domain from GoDaddy, or namecheap or any other domain site.

I want to know why it is suggested or necessary to change the nameservers of your GoDaddy domain, if you bought the domain from godaddy, over to the nameservers where your website was created, like builderall, wix, clickfunnels, etc, 

Some people call it connecting your domain, others refer to it as changing the name servers.

I don't have a full understanding of what a nameserver is and what's its purpose. 

Why can't i just use the forward w/ masking option for my domain? What's the difference/advantages/disadvantages of using this option over changing the nameservers?

2 REPLIES 2
Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: What's the purpose of changing nameservers on your domain you purchase from GoDaddy

The nameservers select which DNS zone file to use, which is basically a map or directions to your website.  These include instructions for web traffic as well as email, which ultimately are directed to the IP addresses of the appropriate servers.  It is also possible (usually) to get those IP addresses from the service providers and manually set up the zone file here with the default nameservers.

The above would be the proper way.  It can be called various names like pointing, mapping, connecting, etc.  Basic forwarding is a simple redirect that does not retain the domain, which can be useful in other situations.  Masking is an outdated browser trick, though it appears to retain the domain it's technically a separate site from the content brought in.  As masking uses frames, that's actually depreciated code and can cause problems with modern standards.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What's the purpose of changing nameservers on your domain you purchase from GoDaddy

Thanks @Nate for writing such a great answer explaining how all of this works! It'll be helpful to other GoDaddy customers who may have the same question. Take care!

Rachel