cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Whois opt out

Hi all

I have just registered a .co.uk domain. It will not be used for business purposes but I can't find anyway of opting out of the Whois database. I'd rather not pay given that Nominet provide the service to registrars at no cost.

Have I missed something or do GoDaddy only offer their own paid for service? 

8 REPLIES 8
Helper VI

Godaddy offers the service for a fee.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

Thanks JH,

It is a shame that GoDaddy charge a fiver per year for a free service.

I called support this morning and they confirmed your post as being correct.

I then asked them to cancel and refund my domain. They told me that they can cancel the domain but they won't offer a refund. I am more than slightly confused. I found the help page covering domain cancellation: 

Note: Deleting your domain name does not entitle you to a refund of any part of your registration fee. For more information, see our Refund policy. 

However if you follow the refund link it says

GODADDYREFUND POLICY

STANDARD REFUND TERMS

Products purchased from GoDaddy.com, LLC may be refunded only if cancelled within the following timeframe:

You may cancel a product at any time, but a refund will only be issued if cancellation is requested within the refund timeframe specified for the applicable product, if available at all. 

PRODUCTS WITH SPECIAL REFUND TERMS

Domain Name Registrations/Renewals

1. Standard Terms
  • New Registration                      5 Days (120 Hours)

Am I being a bit dense or does the term "special refund" mean no refund and if so why is there a 5 day limit?

As an aside do you know which country's laws apply? I did ask the support agent but they didn't know. The text above suggests US law, however my payment was processed by GoDaddy UK.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I'm with godaddy on this one.  When you register a domain through godaddy, you're actually not receiving a product... you are receiving a service.  

Getting a refund after godaddy registers your domain is like asking for a refund from a taxi once you're reached your destination.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

I respectively disagree.

I liken it to ordering a cab and when the driver turns up being told that you have to pay a surcharge to get into the cab, a fee to unlock the passenger door.

If GoDaddy were obliged to pay Nominet I might be more forgiving, however, according to Nominet-

Cancelling registrations

• If you register a domain name and successfully send a delete instruction to our registrar systems before midnight on the 7th day of the month following registration, we will not charge you

Which means that GoDaddy will not have been charged to register the domain name and subsequently cancel it. 

In my opinion GoDaddy's refund T&Cs are very ambiguous. They do not explicitly state that .UK domains are not refundable. The help page is unambiguous, it clearly states that .UK domains are non-refundable, and then hyperlinks to the ambiguous T&Cs. However, during the pre- check out process the only link to the small print is a javascript hyperlink

*,**,***,††,++,^^,± Click here for product limitations 

++ refers to .uk domains and mentions that they are non-refundable but at no point in the body of the page is there a  ++ to inform the buyer that special conditions may apply. The final checkout page has a hyperlink to the general T&Cs and if you click through... you are presented with the ambigous refund policy.

At no point do they mention that you cannot take advantage of Nominet's free opt out service.

Sorry. I appreciate that you are donating your time and experience to help other community members but I think that Godaddy are wrong in this case. I fully understand them wanting to up sell, and I accept that their paid for privacy service may be superior to Nominet's free service but I entered into the contract assuming that they would not deprive me of the zero cost option.

If they had been upfront, I would not find myself asking them to cancel my contract.

If I'm misrreading what you're comlaining about then I'm sorry. But from what I understand, you bought a domain, then wanted to cancel it and get a refund more than 5 days after you bought it and were denied because it's outside Godaddy's policy period that is posted on a link  that you gave that is your responsibility to read and understand BEFORE purchasing and now you're upset with godaddy about it. 

I'm trying to understand why you would expect one company in the US to follow the policies of a company in another country. Each country has it's own unique ways of handling compliance issues, managing servers, and such. 

The US operates under a general policy of "Buyer beware" which means it's your responsibility to learn the possible limitations of a product or service before you buy it. I'm pretty sure the UK does as well. 

The overall point here is that Godaddy provided the initial registration and whether or not you keep it with them, transfer it, or dive it up, they still have a number of records to maintain as it pertains to your domain. They have a publicly available refund policy and you are expecting them to refund it outside of that policy period because another registrar in another country has a different policy. 

Also, you stated in your own email that in the link before the checkout page it does say that .UK domains are non-refundable. "++ refers to .uk domains and mentions that they are non-refundable "

So after reading that, your argument is reduced further to be only that because they don't list the refund policy exactly where you want it listed and don't mark it exactly as you want it to be marked. you think you're entitled to a refund. 

It just doesn't work that way. When you buy anything it's your responsibility to know the refund, exchange policies before you buy it. And if it's sitting within 50 different links then it's your responsibility to read and understand every word of every linked document. And that's the case with anything you buy, not just Godaddy. 

The only real exception I would expect would be if they sold that domain to someone else. In that case the record is being maintained with money from that buyer. But even so, they would have had records to maintain for the period between you having it and selling it to someone else. 

Geronimo!

OK. I think I may have information for you that will clear this up. 
Therre are three entities involved here. Godaddy, Nominum, and ICANN.

When you buy a domain name from Godaddy they collect the money and pay ICANN who manages the actual infrastructure. If you then transfer the domain elsewhere they take over the database entry and initial point-to servers but ICANN still is operating undert the money paid to them by Godaddy that they got from you.

Nominum is NOT the top tier registrar for .co.uk This is why it costs you so much to order an IP from them. It's like $80 unless you pay a $4000 registrar fee and in that case you get it for like 3.50 pounds. So instead, you register with godaddy who pays to register it with ICANN who manages it and you manage getting information changes to ICANN through Godaddy's interface. 

If you like you can transfer management to Nominum but they simply take that routing information for websites and pass it along to the next provider. So for example, www.godaddy.co.uk routes through telia in thenetherlands and ends up in the US passing through the godaddy server. This would be the case whether or not you transferred CONTROL to Nominum or not as it's all being routed by ICANN, not godaddy or Nominum.  Or who you bought it through. The question then is if you want to pay $80 for a 7 d

I thnk the more important question is why did you buy the domain? And who has it now? Why were you wiling to pay for it before but now you have changed your mind? 
I know it sounds confusing. But basically it's  ICANN that handles the transport across the internet no matter who you buy it from. Their job is to transport. Godaddy and Nominum provide an interface to buy and setup a system to manage it through. They set that up and then simply provide an interface between you and ICANN just as Nominum does to manage it through. 
Yes, Godaddy has a different refund police. They charge a LOT less thay cancellation period, or $9.99 and get a 5 day period. If you pass control to nominum, then the traceroute woudl show nominum AND godaddy. Godaddy NEVER goes away because the last hop is through them in the  US.

Does that help? 

I thnk the more important question is why did you buy the domain? And who has it now? Why were you wiling to pay for it before but now you have changed your mind? 
I know it sounds confusing. But basically it's  ICANN that handles the transport across the internet no matter who you buy it from. Their job is to transport. Godaddy and Nominum provide an interface to buy and setup a system to manage it through. They set that up and then simply provide an interface between you and ICANN just as Nominum does to manage it through. 
Yes, Godaddy has a different refund police. They charge a LOT less than Nominum. But you lose two days to cancel. You would have had to pay $80 and order through Nominum which takes some time since it's not automated to get that 7 day period instead. And Godaddy pays whever the current tate is to ICANN for management and routing of the traffic.

Geronimo!

Also , to the question above towards the top. An IP address is a special condition item and as sych it has a time limit of 5 dats to cancel and get a refund. What I want to know is why 4 people are wasting 8 hours discussing what is probably a one time $10 fee. We're all losing a lot more money (time) discussing it than the loss of a static IP that someone bought, didn't read each of the links thoroughly, and then decided they didn't want it which I think is also odd.

The question we need to be asking is what was it meant for and is there anything we can do to help you get it setup the way you want?

Geronimo!

OK. So this has  been bugging me and I have skipped sleeping now for my 3rd night in a row. lol

No driving for me today. lol

I got this thread mixed up with another. It looks like you requested a refund for the domain at day 2 and the policy says 5 days. If THAT is the case, I'm on your side. 

But you'll want to check the details of the specific purchase. Different domain names have different policies. And this isn't godaddys fault. It has to do with the way the top level of a co.uk is handled in the US. 

Also, there may be additional language in the agreement that has to do with setting it upvs having it parked. They may be refundable as long as they are parked for 5 days and not assigned. Once assigned, Godaddy has to pay ICANN and has no way to get that money bak. 

But as I said below, are we all really spending hours discussing a $5 removal of whois information? 

And why is the removal of the whois information important to you? It can be hidden for $5 or you can just put gibberish in the form. Or you can leave it with your information. It doesn't matter. If there is a legit reason to trackyou down, a simple letter from an attorney will get that informatino. And law enforcement has access to it as well. I have 12 domains I manage. four have with privacy on them. But I haven't received a single email, call, or anything about any of the domains and a couple have been in there fifteen years. And the first one I bought in 1998. So that's 20 years in July I think. There are just so many other ways to track a website owner down and contact them that are easier so why go through the trouble of finding a site, looking up the IP, then doing an IP lookup and getting a mailing address and/or number which are often wrong anyways. And if it's that critical, why not just pay the $5 and move on to more productive things that will get that $5 back in sales or whatever you're doing. Heck, just the act of creating an account in a second system and filling out the transfer  form itself would cost me more than $5 in time. And cancelling it and moving it elsewhere to maybe save $5, doesn't make sense. And just cancelling it period because of $5...if $5 is that critical why would you be getting a domain name in the first place? 

This while thing just seems rather odd. 

Geronimo!