cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New

Why Name server changes not workin?

I have changed my NS record to new hosting company information, although it has not been activated yet. Why this is taking so long? I have worked with other domain providers, too and this kind of changes reflects around 2 hours. 

Also why host files doesnt override previous information and still keep the old data. I don't need my previous hosting providers NS and others Records there. I just want my new information. 

It seems I am not the only one have a problem on this. This changes like a piece of cake but thanks to GoDaddy, it doesn't work.

P.S: Don't come and say it can be because of cache or try with other browsers. If I am making any change, it should work regardsless of browser. If it is not working this is GoDaddy's fault. Also when I ping the domain, I still see old ip, which doesn't care about cache. 

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Why Name server changes not workin?

Hey there @kugun 

DNS changes can take anywhere from 24-48 hours to completely process. Usually it's a matter of a few minutes to a few hours, but that all depends on how heavy the traffic is on the DNS servers closest to your datacenter, and then out to the rest of the world. The change between your local ISP and the hosting server connection itself is pretty quick. Getting it out to the rest of the world can sometimes be problematic and beyond the control of the hosting company.

The reason the system doesn't override the previous records without you making the changes is to ensure that your live site doesn't go down before you've completely transferred your information to the GoDaddy host. It's done as a courtesy so that business people who make their living off of their web presence don't lose customers.

As to your last point, in a perfect world you are correct that the interface capabilities of one web browser would be the same as any other. However, that's not the case. Each major web browser is created using different coding techniques and languages to parse large amounts of data. They all run javascript apps a bit differently, for example, which means that in some browsers websites perform differently or work "better" for the given site. Cross-platform coding for browsers isn't easy. That's why people get paid six-figure incomes to do it for major companies.

So, if your DNS hasn't updated within 48 hours, you should call GoDaddy's phone support or contact live chat. The should then be able to diagnose what the issue may be and how to correct it.

Good luck!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

Thank you for your answer but some of those information you gave was altered.

First of all domain changes reflected up to 48 hours, not 24 - 48 hours. When you mean 24 to 48 hours, that says you have to wait at least 24 hours to see the result. And this seems only work for Godaddy. Other domain providers can reflect this changed even immediately. Yes, I seen immediate changes, and I am in this business more than 10 years.

Second of all, one of the best part of the javascript is platform independent. Which is also allow browsers the work normally unless you make some syntax or logic error but some browser fix them on the way for you. User interaction with NS changes are input field, basically you are getitng text input from user. The rest is how your system works. If this text input getting is really depending on browser, you have problem with development side. I really suggest you to find a better worker for there. After this input taken, there is no user interaction, so that I don't care how your backend handle this but it has to work properly. I am not taking about a random domain provider here, I am talking about GoDaddy which is a big company to be able to solve this problem in a day or two.

"The reason the system doesn't override the previous records without you making the changes is to ensure that your live site doesn't go down before you've completely transferred your information to the GoDaddy host. It's done as a courtesy so that business people who make their living off of their web presence don't lose customers."

I can guarantee you, this is the main reason. Because you are keeping it, changes not reflected. You just simple override and let new visitors to access new address. That is most probably why we are still waiting this changes to happen. 

And also saying if your DNS hasn't updated within 48 hours, you should call GoDaddy's phone support or contact live chat, is not an solution. It means we don't know what is happening but we want to wait and see and make people wait, too. I shouldn't be needing to contact to live support. This should just work. It is one simple NS changes. Not a big deal.

Super User III
Super User III

Hi again @kugun 

If you're having issues with your DNS Management interface, you will need to contact phone support or live chat.

The vast majority of us helping out here on the forums are volunteers and we don't have access to GoDaddy's backend system. You will have to contact them for a solution. They will tell you the exact same thing I did. DNS changes can take 24-48 hours to complete. Call back after that time has elapsed.

Have a great day and good luck!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community