cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

godaddy URL shortener - Where to forward (sub)domain to work with the shortener

I'm trying to use the URL shortener (https://shortener.godaddy.com).   

It now requires custom domain or sub-domain (rather than x.co, etc) - and to get that to work it says that you need to forward the domain / subdomain.   However it doesn't say where you are supposed to forward the custom domain subdomain to.  

So, where should I forward my domain / subdomain to in order to get it to work with the shortener

I was on the phone with support for awhile and interestingly they logged in he still had the old option to use shared domains (x.com).

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: godaddy URL shortener - Where to forward (sub)domain to work with the shortener

The domain or sub-domain simply needs to be pointing to the forwarding server, you can forward it anywhere you like.

Re: godaddy URL shortener - Where to forward (sub)domain to work with the shortener

so the question is - what is the server that implements the godaddy URL shortener redirect?

Super User III
Solution

The domain needs to be registered with GoDaddy and using the default nameservers.  You can find forwarding underneath the DNS records in the domain settings, just make sure the box is checked to update your domain settings when creating the forward.  You can forward it wherever you want.  This would basically be the first shortened URL (forwarded.domain.com) that others could be created from (forwarded.domain.com/shortened).

I'm not sure how the last comment was a solution. It's missing key information. When I performed the following steps, I was able to start shortening URLs with my GoDaddy domain. It shows up on the shortener page and properly redirects to any URL I want, and adds an entry to my list of shortened URLs, just like x.co and go2l.ink used to do.

First, you need to edit your "A" record. This can be found by going to dcc.godaddy.com and clicking the three dots to the right of the domain name that you want to set up for URL shortening. Select "Manage DNS" on the dropdown.

You should now see the records list, with the entry for the "A" record on the first row. Edit that by clicking the pencil at the right side. Enter 184.168.131.241 into the box labeled "Points to" and ensure the "Host" box has the @ symbol in it. Click the save button.

Next, you need to edit the TXT record. I did not have one, so I had to click the ADD button that's at the bottom of the list of records. For the Host, enter the @ symbol. For the TXT value, enter your 8-digit ShopperID number. Click Save.

After that, you need to scroll down right under the records section, to the forwarding section. Click on ADD to the right of the word "DOMAIN" and you'll see a URL box entitled "FORWARD TO" -- enter 184.168.131.241 into this box and click the save button.

That's it! It started working immediately for me.

Super User III

@CautionAll you needed to do was add forwarding to the domain.  If the box is checked it should automatically update the appropriate DNS records.  You can forward the domain anywhere you like, the only thing that matters is that it's using the forwarding server.