Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

let my domain name lapse, renewed, but still getting godaddy landing page

I've renewed my account and I can now access from other devices, but still cannot access site from computer that I used to renew the account.  I've reset my cookies and rebooted to no effect.

4 REPLIES 4
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @mike_bartons. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

There are a few things that could be causing what you're seeing. If a domain is deactivated, it's DNS is usually changed. Reactivating it usually changes it's DNS back to how it was, but DNS changes can take some time to reflect on the internet. This is known as DNS propagation. Another thing to consider is what the domain was pointing to before. If you had a hosting account with us and that also lapsed, it would also need to be renewed if it hasn't already been deleted. If you're not sure, my suggestion is to reach out to our support team so they can review your account and explain what's happening. If you can provide more information about your situation here, others might also have further recommendations. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.
oslinux
Helper V

Sounds like your DNS is not updated with the correct information. As JesseW stated it can take time for DNS to propagate. One thing you can do is run nslookup your.domain.com from the command prompt, replacing your.domain.com with your domain. do this on both the computer it's not working and a computer it is working. chances are you will get different results. another thing you can do is flush the DNS Cache. On windows run from an administrator command prompt ipconfig /flushdns This will clear DNS Cache and should allow your domain to function. another option is to change your DNS servers. You can use googles DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or any other public DNS server. If you use a different browser does your site come up?

SamHobbs
Helper V

Since it works from other systems near you, it is not a DNS propagation problem.

The advice from @oslinux to change the nameservers to Google's would probably have helped. If it would have then your site is probably working now even if you did nothing else. Flushing the local DNS did not help me when I was in your situation, it only flushes the nameserver in your system. The problem is the nameserver in your router or ISP or I don't know where else. The other computers were probably using a different nameserver that did not have the domain name in their cache until after you tried going to the new location.

It still may be a DNS Propagation issue. Just because the computers are close or on the same network doesn't mean they are using the same DNS Servers. 

The best way to check DNS Prorogation is using NSLOOKUP

nslookup yourdomain.com

nslookup yournameservers.xyz

nslookup yourdomain.com (IP of your nameserver)

If 1 and 3 return the same result then it's not a DNS Propagation issue. and may be a cache/DNS Catching issue.

to find your nameservers do a whois search and that should return your nameservers.

Here is an Example using my domain.

whois oslinux.net returns the following Nameservers

Name Server: JEAN.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server: PAUL.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM

1. Checking DNS for IP

nslookup oslinux.net
Server: 10.255.250.40 (DNS Server for my local network)
Address: 10.255.250.40#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: oslinux.net
Address: 192.169.177.8 

2. checking Nameserver IP

nslookup JEAN.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Server: 10.255.250.40
Address: 10.255.250.40#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: JEAN.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Address: 173.245.58.121

3. checking nameserver for IP

nslookup oslinux.net 173.245.58.121
Server: 173.245.58.121
Address: 173.245.58.121#53

Name: oslinux.net
Address: 192.169.177.8

Both 1 and 3 are showing the same IP meaning the configured nameservers for my computer are getting the correct IP. however if My computer has the wrong IP Cached then flushing DNS/Clearing Cache and cookies in the browser may help.

If 1 and 3 were different then that would indicate a DNS Propagation issue.