cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

map subdomain to wordpress

I would like to map a subdomain of my domain xxxx.com (registered at godaddy) to my blog, which is hosted at WordPress.com. I want to use the subdomain blog.xxxx.com. I have to add a CNAME record to point that subdomain to yyyy.wordpress.com.

The Wordpress site says this has to be done at the hosting site (i.e., godaddy).

I already have an ‘A’  record that forwards  blog.xxxx.com to yyyy.wordpress.com?

I tried to follow the instructions to add a CNAME on godaddy, but it does not work. I need to know what to enter in the fields for adding a new CNAME.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

Re: map subdomain to wordpress

@greensta I think you have to delete the A record that points to wordpress. The A record should point to an IP address, not a canonical name, that's what the CNAME is for.

So, after you delete the A record, you add the CNAME record for blog and points to yourblog.wordpress.com

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

@greensta I think you have to delete the A record that points to wordpress. The A record should point to an IP address, not a canonical name, that's what the CNAME is for.

So, after you delete the A record, you add the CNAME record for blog and points to yourblog.wordpress.com

Hope it helps!

If you find my replies helpful, give me a like or kudo 🙂
And if I solved your issue, mark it as solution 😄

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you @jpablo. That did it. Wordpress now recognizes what was done on the GoDaddy side!